2.27.2013

One Room Challenge: Week 4

Photobucket

Back again with progress on my One Room Challenge.  Its week 4 around here and things are starting to fall into place. 

Fall?  Who am I kidding, I worked damn hard for those pieces to come together.  No magic wand here. (If you are a new here, welcome! To see where I started check out Week 1, Week 2, Week 3)

Since its just passed the halfway point I figured it was time to get that bar cabinet in order.  I mean, where else do I turn after a long day of working on my ORC projects? 


The previous tenants used this cabinet for cereal and other snack items. But I knew it was made for a much more important job. The pretty glass doors were the perfect frame to show off something important.  When I first moved in I just threw whatever I had in there and let it be.  I didn't really organize it or make it pretty, it was a working cabinet after all. 

Then a few years ago I was feeling crafty and I painted the back of it a bright turquoise.  You cant really tell in the photo above, but you can see that project here

The turquoise obvi didn't go with my new color choices for the kitchen so it had to go.  Without even thinking I got out a can of Gentleman's Gray and painted the inside.


I realized it was WAY too dark and I would never be able to find what I needed in there.  Back to the drawing board, I narrowed it down to Yolk and Habanero Pepper.  You can see the two different samples above.

I settled on Yolk.  It was bright and happy, kind of like a school bus yellow with hints of green. It's a wannabe Citron color.  It was the perfect choice!


Ta-da!

Its a difficult color to photograph.  In person it is perfection, I LOVE how it came out.  But a word to the wise, if you are painting a light color such as Yolk over a dark Gentleman's Gray, do yourself a favor and use a primer first.  Lesson learned the hard way here.

After cleaning out the almost empty bottles of booze I had room for all the drinkware I've collected.


No bar is complete without mixers.  My Favorites are tonic, club soda, a flavored soda, and grapefruit Perrier.

While I was waiting for the paint to dry between coats, I got to thinking what else I could paint this lovely shade of wannabe citron. The loan drawer in my kitchen was the perfect choice. 


 A botched fix-it job by the landlord left a less than desirable look with that dried glue. It needed to go.


And go it did. The single working drawer in my kitchen was now a surprise waiting to be found. 


Every time I open the drawer now its like an instant smile.



I was so happy with how it came out that I couldn't just leave the one other drawer in the kitchen alone.


It's the one other drawer in my kitchen.  It just happens to be above the liquor cabinet so of course it should match.


Only one more major painting project on my to-do list and I'll show you what that one is next week.

In the meantime go check out what the other 19 bloggers are working in their rooms


30 comments:

sue smith said...

PERFECT color! Looks amazing. Can't wait to see the final result!

Unknown said...

How cute is this idea to paint the sides of drawers! I never thought of that. Love your bar area, too. Good luck with the rest of the project! It's looking great so far!
xo Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

A Perfect Gray said...

great color and it looks so good on that drawer. makes me want to do it! donna

Nicole Scott said...

I got an instant smile from your post today! Great job. The colour is so happy and looks great in your white kitchen. Awesome job!

pam {simple details} said...

What a great burst of sunny for your kitchen! LOVE it!

Beth Connolly said...

What a great color - nothing better than a well organized bar. ;-)

pve design said...

Cheers to all that sunny citron!
pve

Ashley said...

Little touches of sunshiny color like this make ALL the difference. Love it!

Ashley said...

Little touches of sunshiny color like this make ALL the difference. Love it!

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

You know it really is about paying attention to the details. I think your bar looks amazing and I never would have thought to paint the drawer ends too. Love it!

www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

I'm in love with that color. Is it BM? And I think you've inspired me to give the inside of the drawers I'm painting a little attention as well. :)

LindsB said...

Elizabeth, yes it is Benjamin Moore- the number is 2023-10

Anonymous said...

I love the pop of yellow, it looks adorable!

Julia Ryan said...

that is such a fantastic color! I'm loving it!

Matters of Style said...

Wow love it! And so clever to put on your drawers! You are trendsetting- that will be the new wallpapered bookshelves!!

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Grapefruit Perrier, girl we need to party. I am in love with that color. I am going to paint the inside of my console a color, too. How fun. I love the way you pull things together.

SHERRY HART said...

I love that you chose the yellow. It is the perfect color to showcase all that booze...JK. Looks so great with the black and white countertops too.

Stephanie Sabbe said...

love it lady! I honestly thought it looked like big bird in your swatch pic and then in the final shots it looks gorgeous! your landlord is going to have some fun surprises when you move out:)

Elisa of Fancy Free Me said...

OK I love this! I literally gasped at the after pic! It looks divine- I wish i had a citrine liquor cabinet.

The Pink Pagoda said...

That color looks INCREDIBLE in your space! I love it!

StagerLinda said...

What fun color! Perfect backdrop to for Le Booze! So how did you empty all the other bottles? Hope nothing went down the sink

Lauren (The Cottage Mix) said...

Perfect! I'm ready for a drink :)

Mary Ann Pickett said...

OH MAN...love the Yolk. I have so much inspiration here...my liquor cabinet could be so much cooler...even if just a bit like yours.

Kim said...

What a clever girl!! I can see how opening this drawer gives an immediate smile!! Love the look and cannot wait to see where you are going with the rest! xo

LindsB said...

Linda not one drop went down the sink, I made good use of those half bottles for sure!

Sadie + Stella said...

This is beyond fabulous!

Belle on Heels said...

Love it!

René said...

I love surprises and instant smiles are the best. Love what you have done so far!

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

What a fabulous color! You are inspiring me to paint the insides of my cabinets.

Natty by Design said...

Love the pops of color! And what a great color too!