2.06.2013

One Room Challenge: Intro

Let the challenge begin!  Today marks day #1 of the One Room Challenge and the day my project list officially goes off the charts.  I feel a little better knowing what to expect because I participated in the ORC last year and gave my bedroom a face lift.  In case you are new to ORC or just forget what it is here is the idea...
20 design bloggers
one room
6 weeks
 
Well technically 20 rooms since we each do our own room, but just one room for me. Linda (from My Crafty Home Life) so generously invited me to join the madness again and with my kitchen begging for a face life I couldn't say no.  After all I am joined by some pretty talented ladies  
 
 
So, back to my kitchen.  My ORC might be a little different from the other 20 bloggers in the simple fact that I am a renter.  I won't have brand new cabinets, new appliances or even new hardware (mine are PAINTED on, ugg) at the end of this challenge.  As much as it pains me, it's just not possible.  But like lots of other renters out there I still want to make my apartment feel like home and have some personality.  A one year lease quickly turned into 5+ years so take my advice, make that rental your own ASAP. 
 
Here is what I'm currently working with...
 
Photobucket
Not great, but not horrible. At least I don't have those oak/laminate cabinets like many Boston rentals have (Landlords, WHY??). 
 
Photobucket
The table and chairs aren't new and they aren't getting replaced, I still love them. You can also see the back door in this photo, it never gets used and it's a great wall for more storage.
 
and the most important cabinet in the kitchen....
 
Photobucket
...needs a makeover BIG time.
 
Here the plan:
 
-more storage: Yes I have lots of cabinets but there still doesn't seem to be enough. 
 
-new window treatment
 
-give the bar cabinet a makeover
 
-window garden
 
-organize and clean under the sink: I need to make use of this storage space better (hey, every inch counts in a rental)
 
-recycling and trash center update
 
-color and more color: I'm technically not allowed to paint, so I've got to be creative on how I add it.
 
-personal details and other small projects to be named later
 
I've got my work cut out for me and I can't WAIT to be finished and enjoy my updated kitchen.  So join me every Wednesday for the next 6 weeks to see how my challenge is going.  Be sure to check out the other 19 amazing bloggers on their progress as well

26 comments:

Belle on Heels said...

Can't wait to see the finished product!!

I love everything about our rental kitchen except we have the aforementioned oak/laminate cabinets. They are SO hideous. And there's a really special multi-color tile backsplash to go with it. No bueno.

The Pink Pagoda said...

What an important room to redo! How great that you'll have this done so you can enjoy the space more. Can't wait to see what you do -- I know it will be fantastic!

Julia Ryan said...

Can't wait to see how this transforms and really excited to see that it's a rental so you'll be working with the bones ya got!

Ashley said...

So excited to follow along! I can't agree more that it's so important to make a rental feel like "home".

pam {simple details} said...

Such a great space to redo, it's so hard in a rental, it will be fabulous inspiration for those in the same situation!

Unknown said...

I love your makeover plans and really looking forward to following along.. Best of luck sweetie and I hope you don't stress too much!
xo Nancy
Powellbrower.com

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

You are not the only renter, and as you said... SO MANY PEOPLE are renting along with you. I have the same "most important cabinet" in my kitchen. I'm thinking you need to up a sign "Break glass in case of emergency" sign on it. Love all your DIY's so I can't wait to watch you work.

Beth Connolly said...

I did my kitchen for the last ORC so I am looking forward to following this.

My Interior Life said...

Love the ORC! Can't wait to see what you do with your challenge of a rental space!

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

That's a great space, I think, to do some really fun stuff with. Maybe temporary wallpaper? And that drop leaf table is devine! Can't wait to see what you do!

René said...

We could all use a good lesson in how to update rentals - especially kitchens. Cannot wait to see where you go with this. I always love what you do!

Karen at Home Sweet Hollywood said...

I'm really looking forward to your ORC makeover. I've already seen your creativity so I'm excited to see your kitchen.

I recently sold my house and moved back to my hometown (Los Angeles/Hollywood...started a blog about it) and I'm currently a renter too. Haven't done much decorating because I planned on being here a short time....but as you said a few months can turn into a few years so I'm very excited to see what you do in your kitchen (mine looks a lot like yours!)

Karen
xo

Nicole Scott said...

small space and limitations is a challenge! You;re going to rock it and inspire others in the process! I love your tolix chairs :)

Matters of Style said...

I love seeing what people do with small spaces! Your kitchen has great bones! Can't wait to see!

Mary Ann Pickett said...

This is going to be so charming...can't wait! Making me thing I need to do some organizing, too.

Carrie said...

I think this will be the most exciting challenge to watch. I'm very excited to see what you do! :)

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Brilliant! I love that you're doing this with cosmetic changes. Although I don't rent, I have lots of work to do in my house to update it and I don't want to over spend for the neighborhood. Can't wait to see your great thrifty ideas (my favorite kind)

www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

Kathysue said...

It sounds like you are going to make it more functional for your use and make it pretty too!!I like that you are going to do this on a budget and use creative ways to accomplish your goals. This will be very helpful to a lot of people renters or homeowners,
Kathysue

SHERRY HART said...

So glad Linda harassed me into do this again....it forces me to get back to reading blogs again....I have been so slack lately. Excited to see what creative things you come up with in your kitchen!

Lauren (The Cottage Mix) said...

What a cute space! I'm sure you will make it look fabulous. Looking forward to following along! Best, Lauren

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

This is an amazing project. There are so many renters out there that could and should spruce up their kitchens. Can't wait to see these little transformations.
xo
Naomi

Kathleen said...

This sounds great! Good for you to be "helping" out the rental:)

Tiffany @ {Living Savvy} said...

When I did the challenge both times I was a renter... you can totally do it! Can't wait to see the transformation!

Julie Richard - Shelter said...

Good Luck. I can't wait to see what you do with your space!

Carrie @ Hazardous Design said...

I really enjoyed what you did last year and now can't wait to see what you do in your kitchen. It is adorable as is and yet has so much potential.

alison giese Interiors said...

Guuurl, you've got your priorities in line! Can't wait!
(PS - Going to attempt to impose this ORC on myself via link-up for our basement - wish me luck!)
alison