12.20.2011

'tis the season

With school and life getting in the way I didn't get to go as crazy as I had planned. But I did manage to make a new tree skirt and some garland for the mantle. They are made out of felt and required no sewing (ok the garland does require a straight line) and were super easy to make.  My goal was to make something colorful, with texture and a little nutty, like me!

I will warn you though, my fingers hurt for DAYS after cutting out all those felt circles- I might even have a pinched nerve in my pointer finger where the scissors hit.


tada!

It kinda reminds me of something out of Whoville and I love it. 

But take one lesson from me...don't just 'guess' the measurement of the tree stand like I did.  Get your lazy butt to the basement and actually measure the tree stand.  Otherwise you have to wrap left over felt around a stand that doesn't fit- oops!

But, with all the wrapped boxes I have under the tree you can't even see the extra blue felt and my big oops mistake.

I had so many felt scraps when I was done cutting out all the circles and I couldn't just throw them away.  So I cut all different shape rectangles and stitched them together to make this felt garland for the mantle.

After I got all the pieces cut, it maybe took me 20 min to get it all stitched together and hung. So easy!  


Just waiting for Santa now!


The left over ornaments from my wreath project found a new home under this glass dome 

A mini tree on the side table with a ribbon bow topper in the same colors as the tree skirt and garland.  I also have my wish ball there (as seen in my stocking gift guide) and hanging on the door knob is my DIY balsam filled sachet that smells so delish!


I really should make some new stockings that are colorful and bright to go along with the skirt and garland.  Just add one more thing to my to-do list this holiday season, right?

21 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh, your colorful take on Christmas is like a breath of fresh air. Love it, Lindsey!

Unknown said...

ok that tree skirt is the cutest thing I have ever seen!! TOTALLY my style! LOVE IT!!!!!

OH and I thought youd be interested in my "cashmere-soft" throw giveaway!!!

http://colorissue.blogspot.com/2011/12/five-days-before-christmas-giveaway.html

xoxo
Aarean

colorissue.blogspot.com

Lindsay said...

I love them! Especially the fun colors. Also, did you do a post about the lucite stool??? That looks so cute!

bluehydrangea said...

That tree skirt is the best!!! I have looked at a lot and yours is by far the happiest and most colorful!! It is worth a pinched nerve. xoSissy

Laura@JourneyChic said...

Wow! Both are adorable! I love that you went a more colorful route than traditional red/green. Christmas is all about cheer and you now have that in spades. Merry Christmas!

Wonderfully Domestic said...

I LOVE it! Like, totally 100%, absolutely LOVE it! This is going in my idea file for next year :)

Aimee
Wonderfully Domestic

Southern Exposure said...

So cute! Especially the tree skirt - I love all of the color!

Have a Merry Christmas!

Rachel

Stephanie Sabbe said...

love it lady, so would the south end:) hope your thing went well!

pve design said...

Oh what fun it is....at everything LEB!
Monogrammed stockings in your future? That would be nice, orange and blue....
pve

Kim @ keller-creative said...

Oh I love all the colors and that it is so un-traditional. Great job!

Emily A. Clark said...

Sorry about your fingers but that tree skirt is fantastic!!

Chic Coles said...

You are so creative! That skirt, the garland, the balls under the dome! Everything is fabulous.

Jenna at Homeslice said...

very colorful and FUN! hope the fingers are ok :)

Carrie @ Hazardous Design said...

Sometimes we have to make sacrifices for good design. Did you really need those fingers???

You chose the best colors ever! Love the skirt and the garland.

kayron said...

Wow, that tree skirt is amazing!!! I hope your hands recover quickly.

Bad Joan said...

Love that tree skirt! So colorful!

GTBB,
http://badjoan.blogspot.com
http://cookingjoan.blogspot.com

Jordan - Queen of LA! said...

i like the garland the best! so pretty and bright!

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

the mantle looks so cute...santa is coming soon ;)

LindsB said...

Lindsay, the lucite bench was a craigslist find. I painted a monogram on the new seat for it- you can see the whole post here: http://everythingleb.blogspot.com/2011/05/my-diy-paint-by-numbers.html

meghan said...

I love the tree skirt and the matching garland! It really does make things more festive! It's so hard going back and reading Christmas posts I missed because it makes me sad Christmas is again so far away!

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

it looks amazing like everything you make, and I love your Christmas card, so cute! Hope you had a lovely christmas xx