1.26.2011

sharp edges holder

A few weeks ago I walked into Anthro during a sale.  Of course I wanted everything on the sale table, but settled on a pretty candle that came in a wood box.  I think I just bought the candle BECAUSE of the box.  I knew I would have another project to keep me busy for a few afternoons.

The box is exactly like the one below, except it had a candle in it and not an address book thing.


I decided to try out another pattern, kinda like the tea box I made awhile ago.  After some playing around, I came up with this pattern


Just a few rectangles placed together till I found a shape I liked.  I left in the lines so you could see how I made it (but feel free to snag this pattern to use if you like)

After I painted the box green (guess I've been on a green kick lately) I traced my pattern out on all 4 sides and got to work filling it in

Oops paints at Home Depot are my favorite!

Be prepared to use ALOT of tape for this project.

After lots of tape, drying time between coats, a little sanding and I was left with this beauty


A coat or two of polycrylic gave me a protective shiny finish


It just happened to be the perfect place to keep my new and super sharp scissors that my Grandma gave me for my birthday


 She said Wiss are the best and would last me YEARS if i get them sharpened.


So now this new green box lives on my desk, and it holds some fabulous new scissors.

Now that I have new scissors, I think its time to put down the paint brush and get back into sewing.  (but don't hold me to that one, I've been working on a ton more painting projects, SOOOO there will be many more posts featuring some of my work)







32 comments:

Anonymous said...

My friend Stacey has a little table disease (constantly buying them for her house!) - I think you have a cute little painted box disease! This one is super cute!!

Chic Coles said...

That looks amazing! I would love to try it, and I would paint it navy blue!

Unknown said...

I love all of your painted boxes. They have inspired me to freshen up some of my boxes.

Trish {Pink Preppy Lilly Lover} said...

YES!!!! This is so adorable and came out just PERFECT! I'm in love with the color and the design you chose. SO excited to hear that you have more painting projects in the works too! ;)
Have a great day!
xoxo
Trish

Heather O. said...

gorgeous! love the pattern. and your final project looks so high end! do you sand the boxes before you paint them? if not, do you have issues getting the paint to stick?

Katie @ Noodle and Boof said...

gorgeous! love the green and white!

mary kathryn @ mathews family happenings said...

good gravy that's fabulous! I'd have bought the candle for the box as well. Love it.

Peace Love & All Things Creative said...

oh my gosh. just came across your blog. I am in love.
:)

Chic Geek said...

Love this little project!!! So fun!

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

Seriously, you are the queen of cute boxes and patterns! Love this one - kind of reminds me of the Tory Burch logo (not that I have any Tory Burch, but I can admire!) :)

Anonymous said...

To keep those scissors sharp and pointy make sure to put some rice or something similar at least a 1/4 of the way up in your cubby so they don't get all mangled from tossing them back into the box. That box turned out extra FAB!!

Amanda said...

You are a whiz with boxes! It looks awesome. Love that shade of green.

Sketch42 said...

So adorable! Love it.

meghan said...

This box is so nice looking. While it isn't copying or even close, it has an heir of Tory Burch. Between this and your tray, I would say you've got some real talent! Do you sell any stuff like this on your etsy store? You totally should...

Ariane said...

This is awesome!

Paint or thread...I'll be here!

EFT Manual said...

Great project and creativity! I love your finished product and its design!

Unknown said...

You are seriously talented. Love greek key - and the green is fab!

Jolie Goodnight said...

That's brilliant!

Unknown said...

LOVE your painting projects!!!

abby jenkins said...

VERY chic! I was just in anthro today, buying a ton of props for Dessert First, The only thing better than having the whole store to myself in a snowstorm? Buying 6 bags worth of stuff with someone else's money! What a great day!

Mece said...

I LOVE THIS! it is very inspiring. I've been slacking on my DIY's lately.

Marianne said...

You are so creative! Love this so.

Kate said...

Love this! I've pretty much decided to just go ahead and copy all your ideas for my home when it comes to boxes. They're all so dang perfect.

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Okay, you have a great talent when it comes to designing/decorating boxes and small things. You should go into business! Janell

Jessica @ Lavender and Lilies said...

What a fun project. I left you an award on my blog today!

pve design said...

You are one crazy gal with tape! Love to adopt you as my sister. I have lots of projects that could use some sisterly love.
pve

LindsB said...

Bianca- that is a great idea!! Thank you, I am going to do just that when I get home :)

LindsB said...

Patricia- we should have a painting day, I can paint boxes and trays and you can paint your beautiful illustrations! That would be so much fun!!

casey at loft and cottage said...

Love how you reinvented that plain little box. It looks great! Nice to know too I am not the only one picking up oops samples for little projects I know will come up "someday"!

pixelimpress said...

omg so cute! i have the urge to send you some stray ugly boxes in my house and you can work your magic on them! but don't worry... i don't have your address. pam

Bold and Beautiful said...

How creative are YOU!!!!! I loved that...... thank you so much for sharing

xoxo

MadeByMontgomery said...

You inspired me to create my own! Although I didn't use your template, I plan to in the future. Check out my blog to check out the boxes I made! http://chiclittlethings.blogspot.com/2011/02/lauren-allison.html