12.10.2012

Bottled with love

Right before Thanksgiving I get in the most insane Christmas crafty mood.  I research, prepare and make list after list of what DIY projects I'll do that Christmas season.  This year my list of things was HUGE.  I have not finished everything on the list, but I'm staying positive I will!
 
Anywoo- I've been meaning to make my own vanilla for ages now.  Not that I really bake (actually the last time I baked was last Christmas)  but I sure love a good DIY project.  But seriously, I wanted to make them for stocking stuffers. 
 
This might be the easiest project ever- one stop at Trader Joe's to pick up Vodka and vanilla beans, then a jaunt over to The Container Store for
airtight bottles and I was in business.
 
 
Make sure to sanitize the bottle beforehand. Once it's clean just add the vanilla bean, fill 'er up with vodka and wait.....

Obvi I added a ribbon and a cute little label. 
 
I think they turned out adorable, if I do say so myself.  Such a darling little bottle, made with love.
 
 
(PS- You'll notice these are only light brown in color- that means they aren't quite ready to bake with yet. Directions online say to wait at least 4-6 weeks. You'll know they are ready when they smell divine and are a nice dark brown color)
 

9 comments:

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

How smart are you?!! I love this! And what a great gift. You are on a crafting roll my friend.

Belle on Heels said...

My mama and I made homemade vanilla last year to give as gifts, but I ended up keeping three of my bottles!! I'm still using mine to bake with and it's heavenly!

Kim said...

I had NO idea ... Vodka! No wonder I like vanilla!! What an adorable and useful gift! xo

Ashley said...

So smart!

April of Smidge Of This said...

I love this idea. I received a small bottle from my sister in my stocking last year of homemade vanilla. It makes baking that much more fun!

And on an unrelated yet just as important note ... your TJ's sells booze?! Mine is wine + beer only!

Camila said...

Who knew it was that easy! I love this gift idea. I think it's something not a lot of people would know how to do and every household needs some vanilla in stock even if it's just for sniffing and not cooking.

SHERRY HART said...

One little bean??? No Way. Those are darling:)

Karena said...

This is an amazing DIY! I love your little gift bottles of Vanilla!

2012 Artists Series,
xoxo
Karena

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

You don't drink it? Why not? I smell a vanilla martini.