7.25.2012

One Room Challenge: Week 5

Oh my, where have the last 5 weeks gone?  Honestly I have no idea, but somehow we are magically on week 5 of the One Room Challenge with only 1 week left.  I'm in trouble already.  But, lets not focus on the negative things. Lets discuss what I managed to accomplish this week, while I had my final project for school to work on I might add. 


I finished the gold leaf mirror and to say that I'm in love is an understatement!  I'll be finding specs of gold leaf all over my family room for the next year, but it was totally worth it.

I also learned that taking a photo of a mirror is not so easy. My headboard isn't finished yet and trying to get a photo of this mirror without getting my bed was impossible. So this is what you get for now.


The framed DIY art next to the mirror is new too.  Just in case you were wondering.  I'm not quite sure if I 100% love them yet. I guess if they are there in a few weeks I love them.

They started out as these lovely hunter green and maroon framed prints. Totally flashback to 1993 but because of that they were a $3.99 special thanks to my local Goodwill. 

Having a piece of art professionally framed can be expensive and was not in the current budget for my bedroom makeover.  But when I found these framed prints that were in good condition, just not my style, I knew I could work with them.


cutting off the back paper to remove the matting and glass

If I hadn't already done gold leaf on my mirror I totally would have painted (or gold leafed) these frames.  But since I didn't want them to be too matchy-matchy I pulled out my bazillion cans of oops paint (I may or may not have a slight hoarding problem) and picked an ever so light pink.


I had the royal blue mats cut (thank you Aunt Beth and Uncle Jack!!) and paired them with the light pink frames.  They totally remind me of Anna Spiro.  I'm still unsure about the whole pink/royal blue/crazy color art combo, but I really love how fearless Anna is with color so I just went for it.


Speaking of color I finally finished my painted rug project and here it is

ta-da! 

I really love how it came out, but what I don't love is how easily white gets dirty.  I haven't tried washing it yet, so if it holds up or not will be another story.  I'm secretly wanting an over-dyed Kilim or antique Persian rug in here, so if it doesn't hold up well I might have an excuse to get one. 


Finally, this combo may or may not be made into a bolster pillow 

Ok it is, I'm just teasing. 
In case you were wondering the light pink will be the piping. Loves it!


Just one more week and so many things left to finish.  Here's whats next up on my list-o-things:

-make that awesome leopard bolster pillow

- figure out the headboard situation

- pick out a monogram style for the shams
(side note- the shams are being delivered Friday, but that means they still need to be send out for monogramming and it looks like they won't be ready in time for next week- major HUGE bummer)

- deal with the situation that is on top of my dresser-
make it pretty, gussy it up, paint some more stuff

- clean and organize entire bedroom so pictures can be taken

- a few other things that I can't remember right now, but I know are on my list-o-things


My final project is due tomorrow, which means tonight might be another all nighter.  But after that my focus is 100% on my bedroom, woohoo.  Until we meet next week on the final installment of One Room Challenge check out what the other bloggers are up to here:

Sherry – Design Indulgence
Barbara – Hodge Podge
Tiffany – Living Savvy
Jessie - Mix and Chic
Danylle - Nana Moon
Jennifer – The Pink Pagoda
Emily – Rue de Emily
Lindsay – Sadie + Stella

18 comments:

Belle on Heels said...

Seriously cannot WAIT to see the finished product!! When are you coming to decorate my house?

Julia Ryan said...

love the rug!

Jessie said...

The striped rug is fabulous, love the blue and white.

Looking forward to see the big reveal next week!

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Love it so far..can't wait to see the final reveal...
Your taking pictures of mirrors is too too true!

Brooke @ Inside-Out Design said...

Ooo your newest projects look awesome!! I love that striped rug and the gold leaf on the mirror is fabulous!

Nicole said...

Good luck with your project! All your bedroom projects looks super! It's going to be a great final reveal.

Things That Inspire said...

I think this will be a 'grand reveal' at the end because of the mirror situation! Little hints and peeks make me look forward to the next installment.

- Holly

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

You are doing your headboard. Great! I can't wait to see that. The rug looks fantastic and I love the way you did the prints. You and Barbara were gold leafing miles apart at the same time.

Daily Cup of Couture said...

I am totally obsessed with that painted rug! So fabulous! xx

Kim said...

Love the painted rug! And the fabric you are using for your bolster ... I believe it is exactly what I have on two chairs in my living room! I LOVE it!! Very happy and fun! Can't wait to see what your mirror reveals next week!!

SHERRY HART said...

You go girl.....an all nighter. Seriously. Love how you are teasing us....kind of mean though:)
I need to gold leaf now!

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

oh YIPEEE I love that cheetah fabric!!!!!

The Pink Pagoda said...

I love your art and your painted rug -- pink and blue is my favorite color combination! Your bedroom will be beautiful. Good luck on the final project for school!

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

I love all the color! I've been obsessed with Anna lately as well. Your rug looks great and I'm so impressed you are juggling all of this with work and school! You are rockin it!

Barbara Matson said...

Isn't gold leaf amazing? Love the rug too! I am secretly hoping for a kilim too!

Barbara Matson said...

Isn't gold leaf amazing? Love the rug too! I am secretly hoping for a kilim too!

Danylle McLain said...

Looking great! Your painted rug is perfect! Can't wait for the big reveal,

Rachel said...

Yes white rugs does get dirty very fast. That is when you need to get professional help. Do check this site.They provide excellent service when it comes to carpet cleaning.