6.29.2012

Telling Time

My kitchen needs a makeover, big time.  I started with the rug, but it kind of got put on the back burner with this whole One Room Challenge thing.  I've got a list of projects that need to be finished in there and zero time to do them.  But sometimes projects just fall in my lap like one did last weekend. 

I was shopping at the Crate & Barrel outlet last weekend and I spotted a stack of cheapo clocks in the corner.  My kitchen to-do list popped up in my head and I remembered that I needed to replace my sad, dust mixed with kitchen grease wall clock. At a cool $6 and change experimenting on giving this new clock a facelift (because it did need a big facelift) was not going to break the bank if it didn't work out in the end. 

The before.  I've probably had that clock since the day I graduated college.  It's plastic and glass in it broke about a month after I got it.  Now that I think about it why the hell have I held onto it for so long? gross!

Here is the before of the new $6 clock I was working with

Not horrible, but not what I wanted in my kitchen.  I was not even sure at this point if I would be able to paint it and give it a new face but I got out my tools and gave it a try.

After taking out 6 screws the back popped right off and with it the glass came too. Yippie!


I took the clock outside right that second and gave it a few coats of gold spray paint.

Side note, I just used some basic Rustoleum Gold Metallic color. But after I had already finished my clock I saw this post on Mint Love Social Club and she used Design Masters spray paint in 14k Gold and I love it! I need to get my hands on some bottles of that stuff so I can repaint my clock

Can't forget the clock hands

And this is where I got so excited and forgot to take photos of cutting my new clock face and putting it back together. So I'll just cut to the after shots

You can't really tell in these photos but the new face on the clock is a light greenish-blue or blintish (blue and green together) as I named it.

I'm still not sure if I should put numbers on the face or even paint in the 12, 3, 6 and 9 with gold paint.  But the fun thing about this clock is that I can change up the look of it in 2.2 since the back screws right off.


So much better for my kitchen than the flat black plastic before.

Yeah for another low cost makeover.


Happy weekend everyone!!




8 comments:

charmaine said...

Love the way it is now, no numbers!

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Oh, I like this...and I need a good new gold paint. Off to check out that 14K stuff. Sounds expensive?

April of Smidge Of This said...

What an absolutely brilliant idea. It definitely looks more your style now. Inspired as always!

Stephanie Sabbe said...

love it!!

StagerLinda said...

I'm with Charmaine, it doesn't need numbers. Looks great!

Mollie said...

You've shared a great tips that we could make look good a simple thing inside our home. Since you are planning a big time makeover for your kitchen, try Wood Drawer Organizer to look more organize your kitchen.

Barbara Matson said...

Or you can get numbers from Michaels, the ones you find in the unfinished wood section and paint them gold OR paint them white to match the background!

Unknown said...

Love your blog and this project - I'm LOVING gold right now! Just wanted to let you know I featured it in my roundup of clock re-dos and makeovers here. Feel free to check it out if you want and hope you like it! : )

-Mel the Crafty Scientist