6.27.2012

One Room Challenge: Week 1



A few weeks ago I was asked Linda from My Crafty Home Life to participate in the One Room Challenge with 20 other design bloggers. Of course I said yes, because this gives me the kick in the butt I need to finally pull my bedroom together (or at least to give it a little pick-me-up). 

The deal is to finish one room in your house in 6 weeks.  That means over the next 6 weeks I've got to find time between my full time job, an intensive Kitchen and Bath design class, and the endless hours of homework to get my bedroom in order.  I'm going with the positive can-do attitude for now.

I've got a lot to tackle in this bedroom of mine, that's for sure.  One thing that's annoying is that I'm a renter, so there isn't much building and moving of walls I can do.  It's more like what pillows can I sew for the bed, and how can I style my dresser to make it more organized?

Lets take a look back in time (cue Cher singing "If I Could Turn Back Time") here is what my little apartment bedroom has looked like over the years...ugg these photos make me cringe!


The last one is basically what my bedroom looks like today.  Actually, I take that back.  This is what my bedroom looks like lately

YIKES!

Here are a few things on my to do list now (and as writer of this blog, I reserve the right to change any and all of these)

-change the headboard fabric. I'd love a new bed, but that idea already got  shot down. hmmmm, maybe I should try that idea on the husband again.
- make new pillows 
- figure out new storage for necklaces and other jewelry on dresser
- artwork over side table
- under bed storage
- rug (probably just a small one at the entrance, a large 9x12 isnt in the budget quite yet)
- fix light fixture
- art on other walls
- switch up side table and dresser accessories


I've got my plate full and lots to tackle before the end of the 6 weeks.  I can't wait to follow along with the other 20 design bloggers and see their rooms transform over the coming weeks.

Here are the other bloggers participating in the One Room Challenge


Sherry – Design Indulgence
Barbara – Hodge Podge
Tiffany – Living Savvy
Jessie - Mix and Chic
Danylle - Nana Moon
Jennifer – The Pink Pagoda
Emily – Rue de Emily
Lindsay – Sadie + Stella

23 comments:

Chic Geek said...

Good Luck!! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Stephanie Sabbe said...

love this! can't wait to see what you do!

A room with a view said...

Exciting project! Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Belle on Heels said...

Can't wait to see what you do! I'm sure it is going to be AMAZEBALLS.

alison giese Interiors said...

Here's to six frenzied weeks! *Chink*

Anonymous said...

sounds like a great project...looking forward to reading posts and updates! Good Luck xx

www.apuravida.com
apuravida2012@gmail.com

Danylle McLain said...

How fun! I can't wait to see how your room turns out. Welcome to the One Room Challenge.

Unknown said...

This is such a great challenge. My bedroom currently looks like that and I feel so guilty for being disorganized. I might have to post pictures of my closet to help get my butt into high gear! Can't wait to see what additions you make.

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

I love all of your work. Your boards are always so inspirational. Will you be sewing tonight? About the bed....the key to getting a "yes", is knowing when to ask...this does involve a bed, doesn't it? Get your mind out of the gutter....serve him breakfast in it...then ask, again.

LindsB said...

Linda you are hysterical! I will have to try the bed thing again :)

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

Love your cher reference. :) So glad you are in the ORC this year- can't wait to see what you do!!

The Pink Pagoda said...

Your bedroom looks fantastic NOW!! I can't wait to see what you do!

SHERRY HART said...

I love looking back at my rooms over the years...it does make me cringe though :)
I think your project it totally doable...but then again you do have a lot on your plate already!
I have faith!

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

HOW FUN! Sometimes it's just nice to focus on one space and get it done! = )

elizabeth@themustardceiling said...

Good luck! I know it will turn out amazing. I can't wait to see what you do. It makes me cringe looking back through our old photos too. It is amazing how our taste continues to evolve.

cosplay costumes said...

So exciting!Can't wait to see final work!

hong kong property said...

i really like the green headboard

Barbara Matson said...

Ooh, it is going to look great! Glad to be part of this group, nice to get a kick in the pants, eh?

Lauren (The Cottage Mix) said...

Good luck with your room! Looking forward to seeing your progress....Lauren

Kim said...

Can't wait to see what you do ... good for you for having all these "before" photos ... a very fun evolution!

Carrie @ Hazardous Design said...

Low budget makeovers are my favorites because they force you to to be even more creative (no pressure!). Can't wait to see what you decide to do.

StagerLinda said...

Wow! You are an ambitious girl! I know you will make your bedroom look divine. I can't wait to see your progress.

Jessie said...

I like your green headboard and nightstand styling! Looking forward to see more next week!

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com