7.03.2012

waiting for a flood

I get that design itch often.  You know, when you wonder around your house wanting to change something asap.  A few weeks ago it was my family room drapes that I just had had enough of.  I decided it would be a grand idea to rip those suckers down, throw them in the washing machine with some dye and give them a fresh look.

Only problem is that it didn't quite work out that way.

I started with this dye- and I was pretty excited about having chartreuse drapes-  love that color.


I followed the directions to a T... or so I thought. They came out this baby vomit green color after I dried them- not so pretty and bright green like I wanted.  I'm still not sure where I went wrong.

they actually look better in this picture than they did in person

So I gave it another try.  If at first you don't succeed, try again. Right?

This time I went with a mix of one packet Chartreuse and one packet Emerald- I figured the Emerald green would give it a nice punch.

This photo actually makes them look pretty good- but once they were dry they were like a tie dye job gone WAY wrong.  The color came out, they were splotchy and not the pretty green drapes I so longed for.

At this point I decided this was not going to work in my favor and I would have to get used to looking at my naked windows.  They were naked for about a week when I got the itch to try again.  This time I skipped the washing machine and went right for my tub.  Actually I used my trashcan, it was the only thing large enough in my house to hold all the panels.



I went blue- if you can't tell.  Navy to be exact, and I let those suckers sit in that dye bath for a good hour.  I was not messing around this time, I wanted all those splotches covered and a nice navy blue color to grace my windows.

Everything was going to plan at this point.  They came out a nice blue, they washed and dried well (actually there were a few splotches, but I figured once up on the windows no one would be able to tell) and I really thought this project was turning around.


That is until I went to hang them.


SERIOUSLY?!?

My perfect 108" drapes, that used to just skim the floor, were now more like 101" drapes WAITING FOR A FLOOD.

Why did I mess with a good thing?!?  I am so mad at myself.  Not only because I ruined a perfectly good pair of 108" drapes, but because now I have to replace them.  Do you have any idea how much 108" panels cost??

Yea, alot.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to find inexpensive drapes? I need 6 panels, yikes.

Help please!   




35 comments:

erica said...

you could always add a panel at the bottom, like this

http://www.ourfifthhouse.com/2011/05/hang-em-high.html

could be fun mixing colors and patterns!

cfvh said...

i agree with Erica--try adding something to the bottom??

Sarah said...

Oh poor thing, that is so frustrating! My go to for inexpensive drapes at 108" is definitely IKEA.

Mrs. Garlic said...

jc penney has good 108 lengths. that's what i knew i needed and i actually ended up needing to hem them!

Brandi@ Flights of Whimsy said...

I just bought 108" curtains from JCP for $45 each. Not chea when you need six I know. Also I bought some that length from Ikea for I think $20 each. I did dye those ombre myself. They came out nice and I used a tub and not the washing machine.

Tricia said...

I was going to suggest a panel at the bottom too. I think it is very cute and makes it look like you have custom drapes without the cost.

Kristin said...

Get yourself to Ikea, stat. As soon as I started reading your post, I was thinking that I hoped you had a lot of extra length on them! :( Bummer.

Katie of At Home When Im With You said...

Oh Geez! Thats so frustrating... I got 120" drapes from IKEA for $30/pair. Nice neutral linen color. I also went to this random fabric store in Somerville and bought 12 yards of white velvet for my living room curtains for $5/yard. I can't remember the name of the place at the moment but it was right off of 93. Good luck!
-Katie
Athomewhenimwithyou.blogspot.com

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

I'd suggest a panel at the bottom as well, or Ikea. Good luck, that is a huge bummer!

Erynn said...

Two words: Drop Cloths. You can get one the size you need for $25. I have actually used RIT dye to dye mine in the washing machine (four panels turquoise, four panels green) and they came out perfectly each time! they were meant to just be placeholder curtains until I made up my mind on a fabric choice, but that was three years ago!

Lindsey said...

add 8 more inches of an interesting fabric at the bottom... a print?
either go geometric or even a colorful moroccan print?

Jenny B. said...

Try washing them again and don't put them in the dryer, hang them up on the curtain rod to dry and see if they stretch out. Many times I have shrunk things, but another wash with no dry fixed the problem.

Jen @ RamblingRenovators said...

Oh, how disappointing! If you want new panels, try Ikea or you can add a panel of coordinating fabric to the bottom of the blue panels. Tonicliving.com has lots of nice fabric choices.

lizziefitz said...

I have had the same experience with Dye! I still do not know where I went wrong? I tried dye 4 times, user error? There must be some tricks that I clearly do not know about. Ikea or fabric border like everyone else said.

Unknown said...

Hah, like other before me I would add a panel at the bottom, and you could get your chartreuse after all. Good luck. ax

Anonymous said...

What about making some dropcloth drapes? You can make them any size - and they are really inexpensive - and you could dye them if you wanted to try again.
http://denverdietrich.wordpress.com/2011/06/22/dropcloth-draperies/

Anonymous said...

No worries, buy some nice ikat fabric, add to the bottom and top...it will look like they were custom made. Or, add a band at the bottom and sew a band along the inside length of each panel. Would take some work, but salvage the drapes you would!
Lori

kathy said...

What about adding a panel to the top? I did this and love the look.

Barbara Matson said...

That has happened to me as well! Actually I want to wash my drapes for the one room challenge and I know they will shrink, so I am going to find fabric to add to the bottom. That is what I would do OR just get new ones from Ikea :)

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

oh no! I so know what youre talking about when you get an itch! and then it doesnt go right.

have you tried west elm? cheaper than the other big box stores and great quality. i have some in my living room that i had lined and added trim to and i just love them.

hope you find a fix :)

Happy 4th

Karena said...

You tried, I would add a panel at the bottom with the green you wanted, it will look great!

I have done this with some "washable" panels where the drape fabric shrunk and the lining did not! Ha! I was so upset!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Unknown said...

Lindsay,
Been there! sorry for your hassles, but lessons learned, which is market research! I made drop cloth drapes for my MBR and I love love love them. I bleached mine, but dying them is easier I have heard.
Happy 4th!
Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Oh, man...what a bummer. I know you will figure something out. Sorry.

Kim said...

Bummer!! I hate it when that happens ... and in one form or another it does happen! I like the border idea. Here's the good thing about a mess up ... you might end up with something you never would have thought of originally and love them more!!

Anonymous said...

Add a panel to the bottom either by sewing it or using iron on bonding. I'd go for a chartreuse panel at the bottom or pick a pattern that has both chartreuse an navy in it. It's not the end of the world and it would be "custom."

SHERRY HART said...

Oh good Lord...how frustrating. Somedays it just doesn't pay to get up :)
I can not believe they shrunk that much...cotton no less?
I have had that happen with linen and I just wet them again and stretch the heck out of them.....

Jessie said...

I was going to suggest the same thing which is adding fabric at the bottom of your curatins. Also, shop at Ikea, JC Penny, Overstock or West Elm but you already knew that.

What about PB Teen? They are having a clearance sale now and I just got 8 panels for my One Room Challenge in gray! They have so many other colors too, so check them out!

http://www.pbteen.com/products/classic-cotton-drape/?pkey=cclearance-windows

Good luck!

Happy 4th!

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

Julia Ryan said...

This is totally making me rethink my future dye projects. What a bummer!

Danielle Sigwalt Interiors said...

I have to say I totally chuckled at this...what a goof up and that's great. You had the courage and creativity to try it and so many don't. I love the navy and agree with all the comments above...just add some fun splash of color, turquoise, white or a pattern and after that smile for creating something no one else has.

Michele said...

This is just another challenge!! Add a great color or print to the bottom OR TOP. Splurge on a really expensive fabric you adore because you will probably only need a yard and it's much cheaper than new curtains! Good luck!

alison giese Interiors said...

Nooooooo!
I've done the same thing - but with $20 Ikea panels, so it wasn't such a biggie.
Except that I now live like 5000 miles away from the nearest Ikea.
I know you'll work some magic, though...
(Sew Chartreuse bottoms to them?)

Anonymous said...

Try overstock.com. I bought these panels for 2 separate rooms in my house and love them. They look very elegant and are a decent price.
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Solid-Grommet-Top-Thermal-Insulated-108-inch-Blackout-Curtains/4583419/product.html

Anonymous said...

Ikea panels OR add a contrasting band (either color or texture) at the bottom or top.

Kate {domestikatedlife} said...

I love the idea of adding a panel to the bottom in a contrasting color!

megan said...

ETSY!!! I got mine-2 panels- for $135...custom made, beautiful fabric. They aren't lined but if you're like me, they are open all day and at night it is dark so you can't tell! :)