5.27.2011

new clothes for the ottomans

When the husband and I moved into our apartment we had a couch and one chair. One trip to Ikea later and that all changed because we came home with two of these Solsta Pallbo ottoman/stool things. Perfect for extra seating.


The plan from the beginning was to recover them in something brighter than the natural colored slipcover they came with.  As you can see, we had them for 3+ years before I got around to it.

You can see them again here, right near my cute elephant friend

I think waiting to recover them was mostly due to the fact that I can never make up my mind when picking out a fabric. I'm my own biggest nightmare sometimes.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I found this fabric with the perfect bold design and fell in love.  There were just 4 yards left, it had to be mine.

You cant really tell from this photo, but its HOT pink on a white background- (why are my colors off?  ugg damn camera)

One other factor- this is my first recover/slipcover project.  I know it's an easy project, but my sewing skills pretty much begin and end at basic pillows.  AND to make things more difficult for myself I decided that I needed to add contrasting piping to the top.

Of course its orange, would you expect anything else from me? 

BTW, I made the piping myself and yea, I'm proud of it.  It was super easy and I can't believe I didn't teach myself how to make it before!

The sewing is far from perfect, so don't look too close.  I was not very good at keeping things even or cutting straight lines with this project- so it was alot of trial and error at my sewing table.

Once I got the piping pinned and stitched in place, it was time to turn it over and add the sides.

all pinned and ready to sew

Just making sure I have enough at the bottom to hem...with my luck I'd come up too short if I didn't measure, remeasure and remeasure again.


I'll leave you to ponder that part of the project for the weekend.  I'll be back next week to show you the finished result.  You're going to love it.  (at least I hope)

Hope you all have a fabulous Memorial Day weekend!!

18 comments:

Unknown said...

looks liek it'll be fantastic once it's all done! - go you!

*kiss kiss*
Erika
~Tiptoe Butterfly~

McNamara Design said...

Going to look fabulous! Can't wait!

Kim @ keller-creative said...

That looks great so far. I love the hot pink :)

Punctuation Mark said...

have a fantastic long weekend my dear!

pve design said...

looks swell and snappy!

Carrie @ Hazardous Design said...

Love that fabric and I'm impressesed that you are slip covering them yourself, with piping no less! After this project you won't be able to call yourself a "beginner" anymore :)

Melissa said...

So cute! Can't wait to see the finished product.

jonalynn said...

I feel your pain about the indecisiveness. I'm the worst. It doesn't help that my tastes change every 2.5 seconds, either.

Pretty sure my sewing skills begin and end with looking at a sewing machine or needle and thread. Props on the piping. Can't wait to see the reveal! Happy Weekend!

turn up the rad blog
turn up the rad creative

Fran said...

Love the hot pink and orange!! Can't wait to see the final result!!

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Can't wait to see it finished!

for the love of a house said...

love the fabric! I'm a straight line sewer, so I'm impresses with your skills! looking forward to seeing the reveal;)

joan

quintessence said...

Love the bright pattern and color. Looks like you're on the right track - can't wait for the full reveal!

elizabeth@themustardceiling said...

Can't wait to see, I am loving it so far!

Peppermint Bee said...

They look perfect! Great job!

Journal Swag said...

Wow, you are SO brave! And it worked! Awesome!

Sheila

Anonymous said...

i love the contrast!
i was just thinking lastnight about attempting piping. my sewing skills are also very limited...i've made 2 pillows and that's it! any good advice or a link to a good tutorial on piping? thanks!

MissBliss said...

you have mad skills!

René said...

How did I miss these? They are so stinking cute! Great colors!