12.10.2010

eating my way through house and home

I have always been fascinated with what people can create out of food and since this is a home design blog, what other fun holiday thing to blog about then gingerbread houses!

This weekend I plan on making my own gingerbread house, but with a little help from Trader Joe's and their fun kit. 


If I was even slightly talented in the kitchen I might try making my own, but since I know anything I make from scratch would come out looking like a pile of brown crumbs, I don't think I will. 

I'll leave the pretty gingerbread house making to the experts.







 Its like a Full House Gingerbread neighborhood!
(you know the Uncle Joey and Uncle Jesse kinda of Full House)


 And just look what the real talented bakers can pull together, only for the most famous House right?



And this years most famous surgery White House...
Even Bo made it


Anywoo- wish me luck putting together my easy
all-parts-come-in-a-box-how could-I-screw-it-up 
gingerbread house.

Happy Friday!


15 comments:

Splendid Sass said...

You can do it!! My mother made a gingerbread house with my children each year. She is in a nursing home now, so I will need to take over.
Good luck. Don't forge to take a picture.
Tereas

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

these are amazing! every year my mom gets gingerbread house kitss from trader joe's for my little cousins to decorate...and i do one too lol. never too old, right? :) have fun!

Anonymous said...

the 3 ladies(aka full house) is so fabulous

Julie said...

I got the same Trader Joe's kit and I'm afraid I'll even screw that up!

Ariane said...

I love everything about this post! What could be better than something that features candy houses, Full House, and President Obama's dog!

Averill said...

Those are incredible! Far, far too good to eat.

Happy weekend, Linds!

Katie said...

I love gingerbread houses, we used to make one every year! The ones you showed though are pretty amazing!

abby jenkins said...

Wonderbar! I have worked on food shows and with the food network for 15 yrs or so, and Martha Stewart Living, and am always blown away by the patience these craftsman have when they make these masterpieces. I have always wanted to make our 1880s hunting lodge in gingerbread but there always seems to be so much on the to do list already.
Maybe this year.
Great post.

... said...

I'm with you on the kit. I made one one year from scratch (literally, flour, suger, etc), and it was among the worst decisions ever. It took so long and in the end it totally wasn't worth it for the way it looked (the flour dusting didn't go away while baking).

I got my kit to make a little village yesterday. :) Have fun!

April of Smidge Of This said...

Making gingerbread houses is one thing we never did as children but I'd like to start. Let us know how the kit works out!

Stephanie Sabbe said...

insane. so detailed.

Unknown said...

I loved making ginger bread houses until I saw these ones... they put mine to shame. I can't believe people can make them that big and ornate.

Hello Lover... said...

I just do not have the patience for this - so amazing what some people can do!

felicity said...

Gingerbread houses are so much fun! We used to make them every year in German class and it became this incredible contest. We rocked Notre Dame one year; the stained glass windows were killer. It almost makes me want to try my hand at it again. Almost...

Leigha said...

Um. Wow. Speechless.

Leigha