1.04.2010

The Great Table Organize: Part 1

It's the beginning of the year everyone is on their "I promise in 2010 to get my house/craft room/closet/ etc., etc organized " kick. For those who know me I have this kick all year long, but I want to get in on the fun now since I have this new table and all.

Right now my craft/sewing/office supplies look like this

Ahhh the horror! It is driving me completely nuts to say the least.

I'm working on getting all that crap to look more like these amazing spaces


photo from here


Photo from HGTV


photo from here


photo from here

Ahh, so pretty I could sit and look at these photos all day... the little labeled jars, the labeled boxes, ribbon holders, baskets full of stuff and a place for everything- LOVE it!

So now my challenge is:
- how do I want to organize everything?
and
- what kind of containers do I want to use?

Oh, and the area where these boxes live is hidden from general view- the table is behind my sofa and can't be seen unless you walk back there to see my little office area.

I have a few containers right now, but I want them all to match. It pains me to have to get rid of some of the plastic drawers and boxes I have, BUT they don't fit on the shelves of my new table and I don't have enough of them for everything to fit. And I CAN NOT have mis-matched storage on my new table...that would send me into an organizational meltdown for sure.

So this year I vow to buy all the same kind from The Container Store. A little more expensive, yes, but since their boxes will be the same in 5 years as they are today I know I wont have to go out and buy a whole new set of boxes when I go on one of these kicks again.

Here are some of my favs:


here and here


here and here

ahhh, look how pretty this is!!!


I'm leaning towards their clear plastic storage boxes. I like that I can see through them so I know what whats in everything. Also because we are not in our forever home and we all know how rough movers can be on stuff. I figured the plastic are the most durable and can always be used in my huge walk in closet when I get one.



I started the organization kick last night and now have piles of crap all over the family room just waiting for pretty new storage containers. I will keep you up to date on the process and take more pics once my Christmas Tree has come down.

28 comments:

Audreya said...

I am SO GLAD I am not the only one with crap, more crap, and crap in a bag! (Actually, several bags.) I just told my husband yesterday that I was going to get the office organized this week. He laughed! Now I have to prove him wrong.

Unknown said...

I love plastic containers since you can hide alot of crap and it looks nice. It took me three years to get min craft room organized but these images want me to do it all over again!

MFAMB said...

it is my personal opinion that a well organized room feels better than good sex.

LindsB said...

omg Jenny you are SO right!! I LOVE that, I'm totally using that saying all the time now :)

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

I'm going to get on board with you--- trying to organize all of my crap!!!

Design Esquire said...

I can't wait to see how your room comes together (I know it will inspire me!). I'm trying to get my craft stuff organized too. I was sewing some this weekend, and the disorganization was driving me insane.

Emily A. Clark said...

It may be driving you nuts but I actually breathed a sigh of relief when I saw the first picture. The only problem is that my entire house looks like your one space. . .

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

I desp need to organize all my hunk too- i have an area on my bureau...that stuff needs a new home! I like the idea of plastic, clear containers to see it all!

Anonymous said...

i'm there with ya! I cannot wait to see what you come up with. although i love the colored containers, the plastic are so easy to see through, you can't go wrong (esp. with lots of them). good luck!! Happy New YEar!

Kelly Green said...

It is that time of year when we are all looking at our houses/storage with a more critical eye! need to desperately get into my office too.....Good luck with it all! make sure you show us the end product! KG

carlee {deliciously organized} said...

Cheers to organizing! Love it...I need to go to the container store too. It's dangerous in there though..end up with so many things. We took our Christmas tree down yesterday...it was a mess going down all the stairs. Feels so good to have it down!

Jennifer said...

I am cracking up at your "crap" picture! reminds me of myself. when I get in a clean-out mode, I find myself saying "WHAT IS THIS CRAP?!" over and over. and yet, there continues to be MORE CRAP everywhere I look! here's to less crap in 2010.

FROM THE RIGHT BANK said...

You crack me up - I love the "crap in a bag." I'm sure you're going to tackle this in no time. Be sure to show us how it turns out.

Chic Coles said...

Can't wait to see what you come up with! I think the clear containers is a great idea, I wish I had the space and craft materials for this project.

alison giese Interiors said...

I literally dream of a craft room like ANY of those! {sigh}

Haven and Home said...

Love the picture, especially the heart. Who has time to be this organized? If you figure out a good system please let me know!

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

I know you are going to make it look fab! Right now my dining room looks like your craft room.

So not in the mood to organize it. Perhaps I'll come up with a chic design term for it and keep it as is!

Christine said...

Back when I was in corporate America and had to set up a home office, I bought a bunch of pretty matching containers from www.seejanework.com, but truthfully, I've found pieces from them at Home Goods that I've added to my collection at a fraction of the price.

Stephanie Sabbe said...

love the graffiti pic. love the pic with the beige scrunchy valance even more:)

glad to see that you are messy like the rest of us.

Jessica @ Lavender and Lilies said...

Container Store = my heaven

Devon said...

I think label makers are the best thing since sliced bread. In an organizational haze, I once tried to label my husband as "husband" with a label.

Can't wait to see how this turns out...you'll be an inspiration for all of us!

Anonymous said...

Your "crap" picture made me laugh- and now I don't feel as guilty about my basement. Can't wait to see your new organized space!

Laura@JourneyChic said...

These are GREAT inspirational photos. My mom plans to organizer her sewing/craft room so I forwarded this link to her for ideas!

Sarah B @ Life. Love. Sincerely. said...

Thanks for posting the "inspiration" photos! My office/craft room is in desperate need of organization and I've been at a loss of where to start. I definitely feel you on matching boxes... and labels... and more boxes. I have a thing for boxes.

Now I'm off to check out the Container Store for ideas. :)

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

uggh my office is piles and piles of crap and clients actually come there and see it. so embarrassing! I'm hoping I can pull it together and get organized like you.

Unknown said...

I love these pics! I'm about to jump into the "office" and actually make it more than an oversized junk drawer - thanks for the inspiration!

Design Actually said...

Thanks for all of the craft room pics, I've been working on getting mine organized for about a week and now it's time to pretty it up. I ended up going with clear storage b/c I have so much stuff and I need to be able to quickly look at a box and know what's in there. I feel so much more motivated now that everything is nice and neat!

Unknown said...

i need massive amounts of help getting my crap, more crap, and excess crap organized! i love your ideas :)