8.10.2009

Infuzed Booze- Part 2

Remember this little project here?



Well our habanero infused tequila was finally ready to test out. And test out we did- it was the MOST delicious drink, I drank them all weekend long. I was so busy drinking them I forgot to take pictures of the process...oops

The watermelon being cut up. Actually it was just scooped out, it didn't matter what it looked like because it was just going to be blended.



Here are two of the drinks ready for consumption- complete with a piece of the pretty green rind to use as a stirrer



And this is what my coffee table and couch looked like all weekend:


The most delish drink, the most delish fabric (more on that later), my computer, a paint deck and a pretty green malachite looking box I picked up shopping. It was a great weekend!


Oh and in case anyone is interested, here are the recipes:

The Infused Tequila
-1 750 ml bottle of white (clear) tequila (not the most expensive bottle but not the cheapest...middle of the road will do)
-2-5 habanero peppers, depending on how hot you want it

Wash and dry the peppers. Pour the tequila into a glass container that can be covered. Put the whole peppers into the tequila, cover and set in a cool dark spot.

We left 4 peppers in for about 2 weeks. They can be left for as little or as long as you like- again depending on how hot you want it. We like things on the very hot/very spicy end and ours had quite the kick to it. The BF said we could have left the peppers in for a little longer, I thought it was just perfect.

**there are lots of recipes out there for making infused tequila, some say cut the peppers and others say don't cut the peppers. We decided to just leave them whole and it worked out great. Although if you are in a rush to make this, cutting them might speed up the process BUT I would watch it very closely, those seeds are hotter than a mo'fo and could make things HOT HOT HOT.

Habanero Watermelon Margaritas
(adapted from HERE)
-1 cup watermelon puree (put seedless watermelon chunks into blender and blend till smooth)
-2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
-1/2 cup habanero infused tequila
-2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur (Grand Marnier or triple sec)
-2 tablespoons lime simple syrup (*see recipe below)
-1 cup ice
-salt or sugar rimmed margarita glass
-1 lime wedge

In a cocktail shaker, combine the lime syrup, watermelon puree, lime juice, tequila, orange-flavored liqueur, and ice. Shake until chilled. Strain into glass and garnish with a lime wedge, (it was hot out so we poured ours over ice). Makes 1 drink.

Lime Simple Syrup
1 teaspoon lime zest
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar

combine all three ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat. Cool to room temperature.
(after removing from heat you can strain the lime zest if you want to, we just left it in)

Enjoy!

17 comments:

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Ha, now that is what a call a good weekend...haven't seen one like that for years. (That's what happens once kids enter the picture!) Very curious about the Schumacher bag...do tell! Janell

Meg said...

YUM. I want one. Right now at my desk at work. For lunch. Mmmm... ;)

Your coffee table looks like mine too! Computer, samples (mine has more seagrass/sisals with about 10 fabrics). LOVE the box, was it a thrifting find?

Anonymous said...

Looks like my perfect weekend! Can't wait to see what's yet to come. Wish I had one of those drinks tonight!

Lizzie said...

I am going to have to try these! How do you think jalapenos would do? I have 2 plants producing millions of jalapenos and running out of ideas for using them.

Haven and Home said...

I will definitely be making these!

Laura@JourneyChic said...

I don't think I can handle the habaneros, but the margaritas sound like they would be delish with just regular tequila. I've been looking for a signature drink for our upcoming BBQ and this may be the one!

Anonymous said...

hey! that bag and those samples look awfully familiar....

can you come to NYC for a weekeend??? SO MUCH FUN!!! xoxoxoxo

Yansy said...

These drinks sound super yummy. I must try them this coming up weekend. I can't wait to see what's inside the Schumacher bag.

Rachel said...

yum, yum and yum again!

Lauren said...

ok, i bookmarked the recipe for when i can drink again.. only 4.5 more months!!! hahah you need to come down for a party!!!

Anonymous said...

I love that idea! A little kick of heat with your sweet! Yum!!! I'll have to see how long the infusion takes since I have two curious kittens who can get into *anything* given enough time!

Southern Aspirations said...

Oh I think this sounds AMAZING! Must try. Hubby's not yet convinced- that is fine. more for me!

bluehydrangea said...

I'm impressed. Can't wait to see what you do with that fabric!

Summer Athena said...

i need this drink!

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Sounds {and looks} wonderful. Wish I had one now. I know it's only 3:48 but it's been a long day and I'm tempted to go ahead and pour me a glass of wine. Working from home could get me in trouble!! :)

My Notting Hill said...

This looks seriously good!

Holly said...

my eyes went straight to that fabric....!!!