7.21.2009

Infuzed Booze- Part 1

The BF and I often go out after work for drinks and appetizers and one of our favorites is Masa Grill in the South End. They have this Habanero Watermelon Margarita that is my favorite! It has a hot bite to it and burns a little, but it is oh so delicious.

I decided that I could make my own habanero infused tequila and recreate this yummy margarita at home. I also decided to try some homemade limoncello, because that seemed easy enough and limoncello martinis are yummy too.

I got these cool airtight bottles at Ikea

Washed and ready to go....I wont put the liquor in till its already infused- it would be hard to get the habanero peppers and lemon peel out


The BF bought too many, but they sure are pretty. WARNING- very hot, when touching them be sure to wash your hands right after


Just the yellow part of the peel is used, not the white- it took a few to be able to get just the yellow parts.


Here they are sitting in a cool, dark place infusing away. And yes that is a coffee pot, it was the only other thing I had that had a spout that would make it easy to pour into the bottle after. We never make coffee and I don't think its ever even been used...so no coffee flavor to worry about :)

This is just part one...I will take pics and update here when the booze has fully infused and let you all know how it turned out.


12 comments:

Kristin said...

Apparently, I need to make a trip to Boston for happy hour! Can't wait to hear about the final result.

KM said...

You guys are too funny. You remind me so much of my husband and I pre-kids in Boston.
xx

LindsB said...

Kara- why dont you live here anymore, we could be best friends!! Move back up here!

cotedetexas said...

whoa - you're a moonshiner! I'm going to have to call the authorities! in college we used to make peach liquer sort of like this.

Oona Johnson said...

My brother-in-law makes his own wine, whiskey, and pumpkin brandy. I haven't tried yet, but I may make the limoncello. Can you put up the amounts you used when you are done?

alison giese Interiors said...

Oh, I am soooo in the mood for lemoncello, now!

P.S. - Have I ever told you about our cocktail du jour? Fresh pineapple capri"vodkas" - like a caiprinha, but with vodka versus cachaca - Muito excellent! Might have to copy-cat you and do a post on one! ;)

Design Esquire said...

I've been meaning to try Masa Grill. I can't wait to hear how everything turns out for you!

Stephanie Sabbe said...

Next time you guys are in our neck of the woods we should meet for a drink!..assuming my husband is ever not at the hospital.

Lauren said...

hahahha love it. can't wait to hear how it goes!!

Jennifer said...

how fun! those Ikea bottles are super-cute.

Holly said...

what cool projects, cant wait to see what happens. our neighbor just made lemoncello and brought us some, that stuff is STRONG! i need a way to dillute it

MissBliss said...

I am a serious fan of limoncello, and that margarita sounds amazing... I just used a jalapeno at home for the first time with a mango salsa recipe for a tilapia dish... so yummy...

tell us the updates and any more summer drink ideas???
my hubby and I have been doing a grapefruit juice and vodka thing that is amazing.