5.03.2013

Green in low places

Every time I see another blogger or designer posting about their pretty new fiddle leaf fig tree I get a little pang of jealousy.  They really are pretty, add height to a space and who doesn't love having a tree inside?  I certainly do!


When I first moved into my apartment I wanted one so bad I went right out to the store and got one for the corner of my living room. It was perfect, exactly what the space needed.  Except it was not the perfect space for the tree.  The tree wanted more light and my dark living room corner was not cutting it.  The tree got mad at me and died within 2 short months.  I thought about getting another one, but it would just be a waste of money seeing that there would be no window going in as well. 

That's when I realized I would need to look for plants that can survive with low light.  They might not be as cool as the coveted fiddle leaf fig tree, but they still bring life to a space.  Plus my Grandma told me they have health benefits too, like taking toxins out of the air. Yes please.

So my search was on for plants that could survive in the less than ideal light situation I had going on in my apartment.

Now you may be saying but Lindsay, "these don't look like fiddle leaf fig tree!" Of course they don't, because they aren't.  I had to get over that love affair real quick, unless I want to spend $80+ every few months to replace my dead trees.  Which I don't.  Enter the low light solutions above.  I swear the pothos plants I have can NOT be killed.  Even if I stick them in a dark bathroom and don't water them for weeks on end, they still show me love. They make me feel like I really have a green thumb. (warning these plants can get leggy, and I don't like that look on them.  I keep mine tight and bushy like the picture here)

I think with the right planter (cachepot), these plants can be cool too!  Here are my current favorites.

1. Blue and White from The Pink Pagoda   2. Black Zig Zag   3. Rose Clay Planter   4. Zinc Tall Square Planter   5. Aerin Round Woven Cachepot (if only I could afford this one, crazy for a planter right?) 6. Well Appointed House Blue Studded Planters   7. Galvanized Planter    8. Aged Copper Round Planter   9. Bataan Planter


So tell me, what low light plants do you like (and have kept alive longer than 2 months)?  I'd love a reason to head to the garden center this weekend.

Have a good weekend everyone!

14 comments:

Mary said...

I have no light in my home & my Chinese Evergreen has survived several years. In spite of forgetting to water it.

Ariane said...

Not sure if you have cats, but I think Lillies might be poisonous to them? Just had to warn ya, haha.

I used to have a plant on my desk at work that I would NEVER water and it would get really really droopy, but then as soon as I watered it, it would perk back up like new. It was awesome.

Julia Ryan said...

My black thumb and I have no insight but I want to try some of those out with those pretty planters you chose and see if I can't keep one alive this time!

April of Smidge Of This said...

I'm like you. I really wanted a "trendy" plant and then I just decided to go with something that was hardy and easier on the wallet. They add so much life to a room and are great for the air.

An easy place for me to get my large houseplants is Walmart (gracious, after my blog post today it's going to seem like I LIVE there). They have a year return policy if your plant dies. Let's just say that I'll be switching out one of my plants soon.

Elisa of Fancy Free Me said...

I couldn't agree more! I love those trees but my cats would destroy it if I even attempted to bring one in. I've had to settle for faux plants that they can't eat. I've replaced some of their pots but not with any of the knockout pot you selected. I guess I'll be pot shopping soon!

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

ive had the same probs with the FLF. We now refer to it as the Finicky Leaf Fig. Amazing though because Ive seen them in stores, about 10 feet tall, in a dark corner and they look like they are thriving. I DONT GET IT. I mightve over watered? I dont know. But Ive tried three times so no more for me!! I love this roundup - smart!!!

Unknown said...

I won't lie. I am totally obsessed with fiddle leaf figs at the moment and am in that same stage where I want to run out and get one. Not sure I have enough light either, so thanks for the suggestions!

Corbin
decor-eat

Vel Criste said...

Thanks for this great summary!! Love the Chinese evergreen and the Black zigzag pot!

Barbara Matson said...

I have the Pothos and Peace Lily plants and have forgotten about them and they are still alive!

Anonymous said...

so funny, I had a similar post planned because i've had the same issue! will wait to post that for a bit but love this. and love those planters!

designchic said...

I have a complete black thumb, but have been able to keep peace lilies alive forever. Love the black and white planter!!

Unknown said...

Love your roundup of pots! I can't find a Fiddle Leaf fig tree in the UK for love nor money so my love affair has had to be tamed with other plants. My current favourite is the Maidenhair Fern which is happy in low-light. It's lovely and soft and adds a nice texture to a room!

xxx

Sadie + Stella said...

Not sure I am talented enough to keep plants alive....

Jen of MadeByGirl said...

i remember when i was really into planting...didnt have such great pot selections though...anyhow love #9.

Madebygirl.blogspot.com
MadeByGirl.com