7.18.2012

One Room Challenge: Week 4


Just putting this out there right now, my 6 week room challenge is totally going to be a 6+ week challenge.

Now that we have that out of the way, I can go on to what I half accomplished this week.  I say half because this past week I had half of my final project due for my class, and this coming week I have the second half due.  So next weeks challenge update might be half done as well.

That's a lot of half's.  But, let's get on with the show.

The mirror over my dresser once upon a time was silver...then gold
(that looked more like puke than gold.  But, I guess it's meant to be my friend forever since it once was silver and then gold AND round like a circle, which has no ends. Anyone know the song reference?)


Then one night at around 11:43 pm I broke out the black paint. 
(Note to self, do not start projects at 11:43 pm no matter how great you think the idea is)

Flat black paint was NOT a good look for this thing. 

You want to know another bad look?  
Flat black paint + the layer of dust I forgot to wipe off = chunky flat black paint. 
Yup, don't start projects at 11:43 pm.

But that's all changing now. Because this is happening....


If you cant tell by my stellar iphone photo, that's gold leaf.  Bye bye chunky flat black paint, hello hottie gold leaf!
I cant wait to finish this, I love it already.

Next up on the agenda was tackling the sham situation on my bed.  I had been in search of the perfect shams to grace my bed for awhile.  I didn't wanted to spend a crazy amount on shams because I knew they would spend most of their life in the basket next to my bed, not actually on it. 

I guess for once the eBay gods were looking out for me because the perfect pair of orange embroidered euro shams popped up.  In one swift click they were mine. 

Now this is the first time I've ever had euro shams, so I didn't have any euro sized inserts to fit the shams.  I hightailed my butt over to TJMaxx and low and behold there were two heinously ugly pillows sitting on the clearance rack waiting for me.  Good news is the heinous pillow covers come right off and what I'm left with are two 26x26 down feather pillow inserts for my new shams.

They are from the Calypso collection at Peacock Alley- here's a photo of the look

All that's left to do with the shams is to pick out the style monogram I want on them.  Totally easier said than done.


So while I have no real after photos for you this week I bet one of the other One Room Challenge bloggers does for you.  Check them all out


Sherry – Design Indulgence
Barbara – Hodge Podge
Tiffany – Living Savvy
Jessie - Mix and Chic
Danylle - Nana Moon
Jennifer – The Pink Pagoda
Emily – Rue de Emily
Lindsay – Sadie + Stella

22 comments:

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

The Gold Leaf is going to be spectacular!
Next time I am in a TJ, or the like, I will re/think the sale piles!! Why has this escaped me in the past? Thank you..
Patty

Jessie said...

I agree with Patty. Next time, I will rethink about the sale on pillows, thanks for the wonderful idea!

I am sure the gold leaf will look fabulous on your mirror! Can't wait to see next week's progress!

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

You scored with those shams girlfriend! Love them!!

Danylle McLain said...

I know exactly what you mean this is going to be a 6+ week thing for me too! Loving the Calypso bedding!

StagerLinda said...

It's going to look great! Love the idea of taking ugly pillows and using them. (I thought I was the only one that got a bright idea a crazy time and proceeded without regard for dust.) Looking forward to the reveal! Have a productive week.

Nicole Scott said...

Hey that's my trick! stocking up on the fugly clearance pillows and making them awesome!! Great minds :)

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

It's a Girl Scout song....make new friends but keep the old, one is silver and the other is gold. Oh, that's not the song you are talking about. The best ideas come out of mistakes....it will be fab.

LindsB said...

Linda, thats totally the song I was thinking of- you got it right!

Brooke @ Inside-Out Design said...

I can't wait to see the mirror finished- it's going to be so pretty in the gold leaf! Your shams are very pretty too. Looking forward to the room reveal!

SHERRY HART said...

Yes...I agree. Do not start projects late at night, although I have been guilty of that same bad decision. Now a good decision was looking on Ebay....why haven't I been doing that?

Kim said...

I totally started humming the Girl Scout song!! I love the ugly pillow trick and you just might surprise yourself and finish! You go girl!!

Sadie + Stella said...

Love da shams. Love da gold leaf. You know I love ya girl!

Heather Moore Grahling | Vivid Hue Home said...

love the gold leaf look! that's the perfect fit for that mirror. love those shams! And what a great idea to snag gross clearance pillows and use the inserts.

Unknown said...

These challenges make us do crazy things! Not that we don't do them anyway, but now we do them with deadlines! nuts. I love the gold leaf, though. Best of luck!
Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Emily said...

I am all about the gold on the mirror frame...LOVE... I too start projects in the "witching" hour...usually after too much caffeine!! LOL

Barbara Matson said...

I adore gold leaf...I bought some gold spray paint. hope I won't regret painting my mirror with it.....

I won't be totally finished either, so you aren't alone!

The Pink Pagoda said...

I hope you're going to do a gold leafing tutorial for us! I would love to know how your did it. The forgetting to wipe the dust off thing is so something I would do. Can't wait to see next week!

Tiffany @ {Living Savvy} said...

I think the gold leaf will turn out amazing! Half way is better then not started at all...

Things That Inspire said...

I just clued into this one room challenge series, and I am loving it!

Looking forward to seeing your room come together.

- Holly

designchic said...

I can't wait to see the mirror when it's finished. I have one now that needs a little gold leafing and need your tutorial!! Looking good...

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

uuuuuuuuuum - i need those cases/sheets STAT. THEY AER AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im going to be scouring of eBay right now

Lindsay said...

Loooove those shams! Good luck with your final project (and ORC of course)! xx