6.14.2012

channeling my inner artist

When people move out of my apartment building often times all those "cleaning house" items get left in the front hall, free for the taking.  Sometimes its really annoying, but other times I've found some fun scores.  A few weeks ago a generic painted canvas was left.  I passed by it once thinking it was pretty ugly.  But when I passed by it again a light bulb went off and I decided to grab it.

Normally I think of myself as a pretty creative person.  I grabbed that canvas thinking I could make my own DIY art, I mean it can't be that hard, right?  I've seen other people do their own versions of art, and I could always channel my inner Jackson Pollack and splatter some paint all over it. 

Just for giggles I'll show you my painting process.  This is what I started with


I started my DIY project by covering the whole canvas with Zinsser primer.  Because I had no clue what I was capable of I wanted to keep this project within my $0 budget, so I used everything that I had at home already.

I forgot to take a photo of the plain white canvas I started with so just imagine it looked something like this

At this point it's where things got a little fuzzy.  I must have painted close to 50 different layers on this canvas.  I kept it propped up on my family room for about a week and every night I would come home from work and paint something different.

I guess you could think of it as pretty cheap therapy.  On days where I was tired or cranky my art was pretty dark with a lot of navy blues and on days where it was sunny and I was happy there were lots of whites and pastels.

I was so into painting I totally forgot to take photos of all the different versions I came up with, but here are a few




After the above version I must have had 20 more, but was lost in what I was doing and totally spaced on photos.

Here is what I ended up settling with


In hindsight I probably should have stopped a few versions back, because I did like some of the other paintings I had done.  But that's what happens when you don't step away from the paintbrush.

In the end I'm pretty sure I should leave the art to the pros and put my painting skills to use on some craigslist furniture.  But for now, I have this to look at...


...till I decide to paint over it again.



10 comments:

Brandi@ Flights of Whimsy said...

I really like it! I paint over my art all the time though. Thats the good thing about DIY, you don't mind starting it over again and again!

Katie of At Home When Im With You said...

Haha thats great! There is no harm in starting over then it was free! I love the final product, but I also loved the 2nd one you showed too! Great Job!
-Katie
Athomewhenimwithyou.blogspot.com

pve design said...

I do hope you will add an etsy shop soon!
Fun painting, I wold call it happy hour~
pve

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

I like it. In general, I never know when to stop....anything!

Beth of designPOST Interiors said...

I have been trying to summon my inner artist as well! So far my results are not very blog-worthy but it's fun just the same. here is a project I ddi that required very little skill and came out pretty cool.

http://www.designpostdaily.com/2012/01/crafting-craziness.html

Carrie @ Hazardous Design said...

I think it is beautiful! Instead of painting over it, just make more :)

Charity Hall said...

I really love this idea! Painting as an emotional outlet...literally!:)

Alicia B. Designs said...

Such a cute idea...I've wanted to do this myself for a while. Thanks!

xoxo
Alicia

casey at loft and cottage said...

So cute! I love that you took a chance and just went for it.

Laura@JourneyChic said...

It looks great! I took on a similar project a while back and it's so much fun to just mess around with the paints. Your post reminded me that I have some tiny canvases stashed away...perhaps I'll make a girly little something for the new nursery.