9.28.2011

Dipped in Gold

Awhile back I started to notice painted legs on furniture. You know, just one of those details that makes something look extra special.  Kinda like nailheads I guess. Anyway, when I saw Jenny do a post on dipped legs I knew it was something cool and I just had to try it.

(design sponge)


It got me thinking, what legs could I paint in my apartment?

This side table in my family room was just the victim I needed.
Here is the before so you can see what I was working with

Yes, I know they aren't straight legs like the inspiration photos- but I was going to make it work anyways.

I got out a ruler and pencil and started taping out how high I wanted to paint.   I decided not too far up since the table is not huge to begin with. But, not too low that you don't notice them. 
For reference, I taped up 3 inches.  I probably could have gone up an inch or so higher on the legs, and I could always go back and paint more- we'll see.
I forgot to take during photos because I got so excited how they were coming out, oops.  But after two coats (and ripping off the tape while the paint was still WET) this is how they came out


I went with GOLD for no other reason then I love it lately.  They kinda look like extra large gold leg caps, but it's just paint

It's one of those details you might not notice right away, but when you do it's like BAM those are some hot gold legs.

This project took very little paint & tape and maybe 45 minutes of my time.  Oh, and since I had all of the materials already it was a $0 makeover- the best kind!

So people, get out those rulers and start marking up your furniture to paint.  I promise it's an instant gratification kind of DIY that has pretty results.


PS- anyone notice the pink stools gone in the after photos? Yup, those are in the process of another makeover too.  Like I tell my husband, no need getting too upset if you don't like something around here, it will be gone in 3-6 months anyways.

22 comments:

Natalie said...

We have a desk I've been wanting to paint, but I didn't want to paint it just a plain old color. I'm obsessed with this, definitely painting gold legs on it. So gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

The Tiny Abode said...

Aren't tiny details great!? I love the gold and white!!

Holly said...

Looks really great! What type of paint did you use?

LindsB said...

Holly, I totally forgot that part- sorry!

I used a Golden brand acrylic paint, actually in a Bronze color. It looks gold to me though. Here is the link of the specific kind:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/golden-interference-and-iridescent-heavy-body-acrylic-colors/

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

I can always count on you for great DIY!

Cassie Bustamante said...

holy crap! i SWEAR i had not seen that desk, and i just did a table very similar.... come check it out...
http://primitiveandproper.blogspot.com/2011/09/piece-of-work-wednesday-furniture-link_27.html
how funny !
i LOVE the metallic gold! need to try that!

Danika Herrick said...

I flipping loves this! Now you have me wanting to dip the legs of something here.
Too funny about the husband thing- I tell that to mine too. Except my pink kitchen didn't even make it 3 days.

p-l-a-i-d said...

You are so creative! I love the finished project...i'm literally looking around for something I can do this to!

Ashley said...

Fantastic! It's the little details, like this, that make a room. Looking great!

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

Love it! Such a classy edition. What kind of paint did you use?

MER said...

Gorgeous! Would have never thought of this. Can't wait to see what happens with the pink stools.

Camila said...

Love this. Actually had gold dipped legs on my list for the nursery. Was toying with doing it to the crib, but of course that means I need to pick out a crib first! Ah!

Daily Cup of Couture said...

such an amazing idea!! i love this!
xx

Anonymous said...

I swear you crack me up ("just the victim"), I love your blog!

I think your table looks great! I think need to start combing my house for a "victim", too!

My Interior Life said...

I love this look - gold legs, brass legs whatever. I like it! And you crack me up - things change around here quite a bit too!

Lonely Wife Project said...

This is amazing! Taking inventory of all my tables that need a dip ;)

Elisa @ What the Vita said...

I saw LGB's post too and pinned it and I LOVE what you did - so pretty! And I also love what Camila said - dipped legs on a crib! I just have to dip something around here and soon...

René said...

Oh my word! That was the perfect touch! Love it!

Lauren said...

Oooooh love them!! So pretty and totally glam up the piece.
Xoxo,
Lauren

Susanna said...

This is great inspiration. I think I've found my next project, doing something similar to my tired Target console table.

Heather said...

This is such a great idea. I love the dipped gold legs.

Edita said...

You have an eye for detail. Now I want to dip my ghost chairs in gold too, though i'm not sure if it will look good.