8.25.2011

All the small things

It is said that good design is in the details, and I could not agree more. 

Often times I find myself hating things about a room in my house and its usually something large: the TV stand, the couch, the curtains, the rug, etc.  To be honest I don't have unlimited funds to go out and change those, but what I can change is the smaller details. Recently I have been trying to appreciate what I can not change (totally easier said than done when you are a design freak, as I could literally rip out my hair sometimes most times) and turn my focus to the smaller details.

Here are a few spaces where the details are really done well and what I am noticing in each room

 The border around the room, the colored mat in the framed art, the monogrammed pillows, the double molding around the bottom of the room, and the trim on the toss pillows

 I LOVE how the desk is made to look like a piece of furniture- the bottom of the file drawer is perfection.  I also love the trim on the shades, and the gold on the inside of the lamp shade.

This is the perfect little space.  Things I am noticing are:  the sideways chevron chest- LOVE, the ruffles on the drapes (which are on the bottoms as well) and the little chevron pencil cup- so cute!

love that headboard shape and the nailhead trim, how there is a recessed circle around the drawer pulls, the small art that is hung under each mirror, the lace trimmed pillows, and how the side tables are covered in glass (great for those of you who like to keep drinks next to the bed, this way you wont get those nasty water rings) 

Tobi Fairley, the queen of color and details does it again!  Just about everything in this room is amazing but my most favorite things in this room are those yellow stools at the end of the bed.  They aren't your typical circle or square shape- its like a really fat quatrefoil shape.


So tell me my lovely readers, what details are you loving lately?


(Photo 1: Gwen Driscoll Designs, Photo 2: Hillary Thomas as seen in Lonny, Photo 3: Nick Olson design as seen in House Beautiful, Photo 4: Rue Magazine, and Photo 5: Tobi Fairley design from the Hampton Designer Showhouse) 

5 comments:

Jessica Rowe {The Aestate} said...

I need to start paying more attention!

Loving that last room by Tobi Fairley. Especially the ceiling and the pop of yellow.

Leah said...

love this post! i often forget that the small things can have just as much impact as the big stuff in my home. it is great to be reminded of this, esp. when you are on a budget! great ideas in each pic. thanks!

Living Livelier said...

Very fun! I had never thought about putting a desk at the foot of a bed like that - great use of space!
:) deb

Anonymous said...

Pretty insightful. Thanks!

My blog:
agence rachat credit www.rachatdecredit.net

Anonymous said...

Loving the oversized monograms in the first photo and the headboard in the fourth photo is just so chic!
xo E + J