7.11.2011

DIY Beach Towel Weights

On the 4th of July a few of my friends and I decided to pack up and head to the beach.  The Plum Island beach we were headed to is just over an hour drive from our apartment, so being the planner that I am I packed our beach bag the night before.

As I was getting our towels and large sheet in the bag I remembered the last time I went to the beach it was windy and I kept having to fix the corners of my sheet because they were constantly flipping sand at me- hated that!  My crazy crafty mind went into overdrive and I decided to whip up a little DIY project at the last minute. 

I was going to make my own beach towel weights / clips / tacks / whatevers.

I already had all the materials I needed: sewing machine, a bunch of small rocks (I had some small rocks in my potting closet, any small rocks would do), and fabric.


After deciding solid colored bags wouldnt do, I went with a nautical navy and white stripe design.  About 2 hours later, I had 6 rock bags ready to go!


The queen size sheet is held down perfectly with 6 weights


We just happened to have a small mailing scale at home, so I used that to make sure each rock bag was the same weight.  I also wanted to make sure they were heavy enough to hold down a sheet, but light enough that they were not a pain to carry. 


Once I finished making the towel weights, I realized I couldn't just carry them to the beach like that.  They needed a coordinating bag

With the left over fabric I made the coordinating striped bag to hold the 6 weights in.  I lined it in a bright yellow canvas to make it sturdy and finished it off with a coordinating yellow drawstring.

All in all this last minute project took about 1 1/2 - 2 hours.  If I had decided to make them a solid color and not striped, this project would not have taken longer than an hour.  Either way, if you can sew a straight line this is a super easy DIY project that is sure to impress your friends at the beach- mine were  impressed for sure.



18 comments:

Danika Herrick said...

This is great! And so chic! Beats the tar out of having to search for something once you get there.

I just thought of a solution for you for the having to carry any extra weight... make cute little sand bags you can fill when you get there with drawstrings and then dump out when youre done.
PS... You have to come up to Beverly and hang! I have a beach at the end of the street!

LindsB said...

omg Danika why didnt I think of that?? See, this is why you get paid the big bucks to be a designer- you are soooo creative!!

I'll work on the drawstring bags for when I come up to Beverly!

Kate {domestikatedlife} said...

I love this idea! That would be a great gift too!

Laura@JourneyChic said...

Those bags are so cute! I was also wondering about the weight, and love Danika's solution.

Aja said...

What an awesome project!! And the stripes with yellow detail just take it over the edge! Agh I wish I lived near a beach so this would be a necessary project for me :)

Jen said...

Ha! I was just having a problem yesterday with my beach towel blowing away. This is brilliant! And so stinking cute!

Happy Monday Dear! xo

April of Smidge Of This said...

A wonderful idea (as always). I'm also a fan of Danika's idea! But can we get back to the fact that you have a potting closet ... jealous!

I'm hosting a giveaway on my blog now, btw! :)

April

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Genuis!!

Oksana said...

You are so clever, as always! Of course - no boring beach towel weights for you. They ended up great.
Hope you are feeling much better.
O from www.ordermatters.com/blog

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

great idea and I love Danika's idea too!!

Lonely Wife Project said...

Genius! Glad you're back :)

Jessie said...

Such a cute idea. I love the stripes. So glad you are back to blogging.

pve design said...

Perhaps good for a little juggling too!
Very cute!
pve

Erica said...

So chic! You are so clever!

Homeowner Insurance Coverage

MissBliss said...

ingenious!

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Now this is a brilliant idea, I'm visualizing all the times my towels have driven me crazy at the beach! If only I'd had these! Janell

fmonge02 said...

Great idea...I will be making this before summer is over :)

a m o u r e t t e said...

Such a great idea - thanks!