6.17.2011

Man Space

So my little brother is moving out on his own.  No more roommates, no more sleeping on a bare mattress, and no more futons!  Of course as soon as he told me he was moving I said, "OK great, I'll decorate it".  

Stephanie made a good point though, she said that I can't make it look like a girl just moved out. He wouldn't want to scare away any future ladies. 

So I asked what my budget would be.  His response, wait for it, wait for it, wait for it......$300!! Obvi decorating is not high on the priority list, I think a TV beat me out. Men!

This is my prelim plan- I haven't shown the bro yet, but remember he is younger so I can just tell him it's cool and go with it.  That's what big sisters are for.

Think I can pull it off for only $300?  To be fair I will be shopping my parents attic like nobodies business and shopping craigslist for those "free" items. 

And to get the party started we already have:

-the slab wood coffee table (my daddy made it YEARS ago and its super cool) 

-fabric for the pillows

-table lamps from the parents attic

-floor lamp from the parents attic- will get a coat of GOLD paint, hot DAMN! 

Other ideas:

-paint a side chair that's in decent shape like this Kristy did here

-have my dad make a super large frame out of some wood, spray paint it a pretty color and staple a super large world map behind it.  I might even try giving it a tea treatment to make the colors a little more muted.

-try my hand at making some tufted ottomans

-I'll be fixin' up a tray LEB style to make his own mini bar area

-makin' drapes out of sheets- i forgot that on the board oops.


I think that's it for now.  Any other genius bachelor pad ideas I should know?  You know, the kind that I can fit into that $300 budget of his.

Happy weekend everyone!

18 comments:

Kate {domestikatedlife} said...

$300 = a million dollars on craigslist if you buy spray paint, you can make it work! What a good big sis :)

Hyphen Interiors said...

I LOVE that design and $300 would be amazing! Can't wait to see it.

Elisa @ What the Vita said...

This is a great plan, looking forward to what you do in his space! So lucky that you have a parents' attic to raid, my mom has moved around too much to have much of an "attic" to raid :)

The "free" part of Craig's List is awesome, got cute shelves out of it that I need to makeover soon! You could also DIY a rug if he wants one...

Oksana said...

I KNOW you will make it work. ANd I can't wait to see the reveal! I wish my daughters will turn into sisters like you to my son! I always tell my son that he is lucky to have 2 sisters as they will always (I hope) take care of him.

Oksana from www.ordermatters.com/blog

jonalynn said...

You'll make it work, girl! Stoked to see what you come up with. As a fellow big sister, it's our duty to say peace out to futons and direct the little bros toward cool ish! :)

turn up the rad blog
turn up the rad creative

casey at loft and cottage said...

Looking great! I'm sure it's going to look amazing, even done on the cheap!

annie@mostlovelythings said...

Can't wait to see what you come up with on a $300 budget...you sound extremely resourceful, so I think your little brother's space is in good hands.

Mary said...

You can make drapes out of drop clothes also. They would be heavier & hang better than sheets.

Katie said...

drop cloth drapes sound great! and super manly!

Alexandra Bee Blog said...

How fun!!

Stephanie Sabbe said...

oooh girlfriend. he's going to love it. no signs of a lingering ex:)

lemondropdreams said...

I think it can be done for $300...to start! I did a room for the hubby and although it has a "woman's touch" there's not a flower, ruffle or anything lacey in sight. If it were up to him it'd look like his room from the fraternity house...UGH!!

Holly said...

I cannot wait to see what you can do with $300! I'm sure it'll look fab!

Julip Made said...

What a great man cave! With $300 and your talent, I can see it coming together nicely. Apparently that is what little sisters are for too. I just took a trip out to LA to help my big bro with his place.

Allison said...

Adding some potted plant will bring in a great homey touch without being too girly if you try cacti or succulents. Those will be easy to tend to as well. Maybe if he is daring some wheat-grass would be good too.

Carrie @ Hazardous Design said...

I really like where this room is heading. Your brother is very lucky! Can't wait to see the finished result.

Erica said...

Great man cave! Looking forward to what you do in his space!

San Diego Mobile Notary

Anonymous said...

Looks like this is going to be a GREAT space!!! Can't wait to see the finish project :)

Follow my blog www.mikelmaiadesigns.blogspot.com