4.04.2011

drink decor

So I have alot of wedding crafts and projects to share- I will try not to post them all at once for those of you who read this blog for the decor aspect and not all the wedding planning stuff.  Anyway, I figured I would start with the project I did first- all those months ago when I first picked orange and blue to be our wedding colors.

Drink Stir Sticks

I got the idea from Martha (of course) and after searching the internet I found lots of different DIY versions of a decorated drink stirrer.  You can use a paper punch, tied ribbon, glued ribbon, a piece of paper, or even make a flower out of streamers. 

I decided to go with the ribbon version and knew I wanted clear plastic drink stirrers.  I ordered all my wedding ribbon from Papermart and The Ribbon Factory and the clear plastic stirrers came from Bar Supplies Direct.

blue ribbon cut into 3 inch pieces ready to assemble

I tried to tie the ribbon like Martha did,but since the sticks were plastic they kept sliding down.  So out came the double sided table and I folded the ribbon around the stick and it worked like a charm.

*On a side note- the ribbon I used for this project seemed to fray easier then other grosgrain ribbon I've used in the past- so to make these little flags look finished I used a lighter to seal the cut end of the flag.  Which is why I went with a straight end and not a v-cut shape (see Martha's above, she has v-cut ends if you are wondering what that is)

500 stir sticks came in the box, so I made all 500 of them.  Here are the orange ones all finished and ready for wedding day.


Since I don't have any of the professional photos back yet and I'm not sure if she even got a picture of the drink stir sticks in action, here is my own action shot.
not sure what I was doing in this picture, but I can only assume it was singing

another in action shot


13 comments:

Jenna@simplybonvivant.com said...

Love this! Anything that is DIY that brings personal touches and color is a must in my book!! Have a great Monday!
XO

Let The Tide Pull Your Dreams Ashore said...

It’s all in the details…what a clever idea! xx

lizziefitz said...

Such a fun way to bring in more color, great job!

JMW said...

What a neat idea! BTW, your wedding gown is gorgeous! Can't wait to see more photos. :)

Katie said...

I love this idea! Adding it to my wedding inspiration folder. So cute.

abby jenkins said...

those are adorable!

Kate {domestikatedlife} said...

So cute!

Fran said...

So great!! It must've been so cool to look around and see all your hard work come to fruition!

Nancy U said...

Like yours better than Martha's. Yours was crisper and tidier.

Jessie said...

Cute idea! Keep the wedding crafts coming, girl. I have have got a month and a half and I might have to steal some of them.

Laura@JourneyChic said...

What a nice little touch! You're brave - I totally would have burned my finger with that lighter. :)

KatyO! said...

oh man, I have been SO out of loop on your blog lately. Congrat's on your wedding!! I can't wait to see more pictures :-)

kayduh said...

I would love to see more wedding posts! I have 121 days to go!