12.06.2010

the easy mantle dress up

As I've mentioned before I got a late start on the Christmas decorating this year,  I also didn't have the energy to go nutty with a theme like I did last year.  But since I am a crazy Christmas person I just couldn't leave my mantle undecorated.

So with a little creativity and no time at all, my mantle is all dressed up and ready for the big day (which is in 18 days BTW).

First I gathered a few materials:

1. glue- the rubber cement worked best
2. paper punch
3. gold paper
4. white ribbon
with the paper punch I punched out a ton of scalloped circles from the gold paper


Using the rubber cement, I glued to scalloped circles together sandwiching the ribbon in between.  I eyeballed the spacing, some are 6 inches apart and some are 12 inches. 

My garland was between 6 and 8 yards long, but you can make yours any length depending on where you want to hang it.

The rubber cement takes no time at all to dry, so as soon as I was done gluing the last two in place it was ready to hang. 

Here is what my mantle looks like all dressed up


For a fuller look I could probably stand to glue a few more gold dots in there, but for now this was an easy way to bring some of that festive spirit to my family room!

Happy Holidays!

34 comments:

Kate {domestikatedlife} said...

So cute! I crafted up some garland this weekend too, but with felt circles!

casey at loft and cottage said...

Adorable! I love this look.

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

looks perfect, beautiful job

Southern Exposure said...

Very festive! I love simple crafts that make a big difference. Nice job :)

TWA said...

I love this! It looks adorable, very kate spade!

Splendid Sass said...

Love it! Amazing look.
TEresa

Kathysue said...

LOVE IT!!! Great idea so clean and fresh looking, Merry Christmas,
KATHYSUE

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Love the simplicity of this, very chic! Janell

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Nice job! Very creative!

Anonymous said...

Super cute! Love it, you crafty Christmas queen!

Anonymous said...

love it! so very kate spade with the polka dots :)

Shorely Chic said...

Adore!

Emily A. Clark said...

Such a cute idea!

Laura Trevey said...

So fun and festive... I love it!!

Katie said...

Very cute, I wanted to do something similar, but unfortunately my cats would just eat it :)

Fran said...

Adorable! I love it! Just the right amount of glimmer!

Ashley said...

So pretty! Could definitely be in a magazine :)

Unknown said...

It looks so pretty!! I def. keep for New Years Eve too :)

Anonymous said...

Looks so great!! Question: I need your mirror! Where do I fetch one as lovely? Love the blog!

Stephanie Sabbe said...

that looks great linds! I love it!

JMW said...

I love that look! So pretty and festive!

Mary said...

This looks great! So very festive :)

Lindsay said...

Adorable! Who wouldn't want a polka dot garland?! xo

... said...

I never would have thought that would look so cute! I want to make some garland but don't have a fireplace. Anywhere else you could put it? I don't see to have that creative eye...

Megan said...

I love your set up- so pretty!! Great job!

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

super cute!

Navy Bean said...

So pretty! Last year I made a similar garland by punching a bunch of circles out of colored paper but I just used my sewing machine to string them together. I love holiday decorating!

Cheryl G. said...

I LOVE it too!

Megan // Honey We're Home said...

Really nice and fun!!

Full House said...

This is perfect. I have a star punch that I have been wanted to use but I love those scalloped circles.

paula said...

love, love, love this! so pretty.

MFAMB said...

the cuteness.

Chassity (Look Linger Love) said...

This looks so awesome!! Maybe I'll attempt it next year :) Thx for sharing.

Hello Lover... said...

Love it - so simple and looks great!