9.20.2010

Some T love

I'm always looking for new projects (aka things to keep me busy at night so I don't go to the fridge 100+ times and eat my weight in snacks) My mind is always thinking what can I make next...will I paint something? sew something? make jewelry? You get the idea here.

This weekend I found a little wood box in the back of my closet that was just itching for a makeover. 

Here it is after a sloppy coat of primer



I then gave it a few coats of high gloss white spray paint to "try" to give it that lacquered look.

Since I had painted a design on the box and tray I just made, I decided to try a new technique. I got out a stack of Boston maps, mod podge, paint brushes and went to work.

I was going to cover the whole box with Boston maps, but I decided to go simple with this one and just use the MBTA map for the top.



An ode to my home away from home because I spend so much time on the T :)



Once the mod podge was dry and the little bumps were smoothed out, I gave it a heavy coat of my favorite Rustoleum Clear Lacquer spray paint to seal it all in.



Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, which is why the photos are not really styled,  But it was a fun project to keep my busy and show my love to Boston. 

On to the next one I go.

17 comments:

boops said...

why would you ever want to be reminded of/pay homage to the worst public transit system there ever was?

LindsB said...

it was more of a sarcastic love :) Plus, it was the only map I had that fit perfectly on the top of the box, so thats what I went with hahaha.

but you are right, it is pretty horrible.

Chedva @Rooms and Words said...

Love it! I can just see it in a Lonny article... I really like lacquered boxes and maps, so the combo is perfect.

Kalee said...

Nicely done! I love the shiny and bright white accented by the pop of color in the maps. I am with you, always on the hunt for a project to occupy my mind- keep up the good work!

Unknown said...

ok seriously - i LOVE your reasoning!!! to avoid the munchies, loves it! .. and i LOVE the box!, i like to decoupage things, it's fun to see how it all look in the end - great job!

pve design said...

Projects do keep our mind busy - and then we have something to show for it as well besides unwanted calories.
What a fun box!
pve

emily @ the happy home said...

cute! i like the primary colors. sadly, nothing on the T is that bright and shiny anymore!

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

I like it! Gotta love Boston- flaws and all ;)

Splendid Sass said...

Good ol' Rustoleum! The best.
I love your box, and the map idea is great.
Have a nice evening.
Teresa

Jessica @ Lavender and Lilies said...

Great project. I love it.

Dovecote Decor said...

Love the box! The good news is it will last longer than a snack.
Best,
liz

Michelle said...

Great idea, looks super.

Bravehearted Beauty {formerly LLH Designs} said...

So rewarding to create something with your own two hands, isn't it? Wish I did more of it.

Do tell about NYC when you're back! I can't even imagine how amazing it musr be to be in the same room with so many amazing ladies!

Blessings,
Linsey

Blair McLeod said...

way fun idea!!

ps. i blogged about YOU today! you have now been wiggle!

Full House said...

Lindsay..look at you go with all of your projects. Don't you think it is so tricky to get the bubbles out from modge podging? Maps always add such interest even if it is of public transit:-)

Unknown said...

super cute, I've been thinking about doing and ode to my train line too since I'm riding it to work 5 days a week! lol - maybe a framed photo, but the box idea is cute

Sketch42 said...

You are me. I wake up and craft things in the middle of the night. Start an etsy store to sell ur creations. Thats what I did. I had too much crap lying around!