8.09.2010

Crap I don't need but want

I don't know if its a good thing or a bad thing that I work around the corner from a TJ Maxx and a Marshall's.  I would say that's a good thing because it's super convenient to just drop by to pick up essentials when I need them.  On the other hand they are full of crap I don't need but want. 

Just the other day I stopped by because the front door was calling my name.

Here is how the conversations went in my head


-GREEN CHAIRS WITH NAILHEAD TRIM-

Do I have any green in my house? ehh not really 
Do I need these? Nope 
Do I want them? Yup, I could find a use for them plus they are pretty and oh how I love the nailheads.

Results- For now they stay at the store and not in my cart, I have so much more of the store to see why stop now.


-GOLD FRAMES-

Do I really need more frames? ehh not really, I have about 100 in storage boxes somewhere. 

Speaking of storage, where are those boxes anyways? I really should find them. I feel like I have a ton of crap in boxes that I could love again. ok, back on track with these frames.

Do I need these? Not really, but they are pretty and maybe I could spray paint them if I ever got sick of the gold. hmmmm
Do I want them? Umm, they had me at spray paint- of course I want them!

Results- stay at store for now, vow to find the storage boxes.


-MARTHA STEWART PAPER PUNCHES-

OMG, Martha Stewart
Do I need these? I don't give a crap if I need these- they are Martha and they are cute.  I could always use more craft supplies to collect dust in my labeled craft boxes at home. 

Results- in the cart, no questions asked


-BLUE LAMPS-

Do I really need lamps? I have no room for them.  I have no room for them.

I. have. no. room. for. them.
Do I want them? Hell yes I want them- but I think the fiance might kill me if I bring something else home and tell him it's my inspiration for a new design in the apartment.


Results- These should stay at the store for now, I don't want to die over lamps just yet


-ORANGE TRASH CAN AND POTS-
 
Do I really need a new trash can? No, but the white plastic one at home is ugly and this is so pretty. I mean its orange, my favorite color!! Oh look orange pots too- LOVE THOSE
Do I want them?  Um, is the sky blue? Of course I want them they are my favorite color

Results- I don't even cook, maybe these should stay at the store till I start cooking.  Meaning, it will be a cold day in hell before these come home with me.


-BURLAP TUMBLERS-

Do I really need plastic tumblers? I don't have a patio right now, but I will some day so maybe these should go in a "someday box". 

Speaking of, I don't have a "someday box"  I should go to Target after this and get some new storage bins to make into my "someday box". 

 Note to self, don't forget to look for the storage boxes AND make a "someday box"

Do I want them? My "someday box" needs something to go in it, these would be perfect

Results- Who am I kidding? I won't need tumblers, I'll need wine glasses and margarita glasses.  These are staying at the store. 

Note to self, stop at liquor store after this
 
 
-CANDLES-
 
Do I really need another candle? Well these do get used up, and the point is to light them.  So yes I really NEED another candle.  Plus, I spy a pretty orange one.  I think I need an orange intervention.

Results- Duh, orange one went home with me


OK, you get the idea.  I could literally do this for every item in the store.  It's like I'm asking for a mental breakdown every time I walk in a home store. 

Why do I torture myself? 

I know I'm not the only one out there who does this. 


Don't all come forward at once now.

42 comments:

Erika Ward said...

Hello, my name is Erika and I am a decor addict. Whenever I'm shopping for someone else, I always picture their items in my space and then want them for myself. I need to abide by the 11th commandment: Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's furniture or any home decor item that belongs to thy neighbor....

Whoo, I feel better now!

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Love this post! Hysterical title. I once had a client who said, "I can like something without having to have it." That has stuck with me, though she did have like a couple billion dollars (really), so easy to say, right?!
Janell

Kate said...

I have the exact same problem, except I show less restraint -- because I bought a set of those orange pots in the robins egg blue color last time I was there. I was shopping for a bedskirt, which I didn't find, and came home with $100 in new cookware instead.

Its an addiction with no cure!

Kathysue said...

Hello you are preaching to the choir here!!! We all do this, lets face it we do not ever go in to JUST LOOK!! WE totally intend on buying something. We can't help it, it is in our blood. I can think of a lot worse vices than an occasional candle, lamp, mirro, chair, pillow or two, Hehe I feel your pain!! Kathysue
PS I succumbed to a want just the other day and it is on its way via UPS. Take a look at my blog and you will see my little pretties, I am getting for a Someday.

Chelsea Junget said...

Lordy, I know this feeling all too well. I can't get out of a Target or HomeGoods w/o spending at least $20!

Chedva @Rooms and Words said...

Your'e so good! Almost everything stayed at the store! (gasping)
I do the same, but somehow all the things I need stay there, and all the crap I really don't - comes home with me.

Oona Johnson said...

Pppffft! I can't believe you left all that great stuff behind! Last time I went to TJ Maxx (Thursday) I bought a leather jacket (it was 102 degrees in StL that day), a giant apothecary jar (my 5th, but it was $10!), and two crystal skull candle holders (it's barely August and I'm already planning for Halloween). Oh, and a TJ Maxx credit card. Whoops.

TJ Maxx/Homegoods/Marshalls is the devil.

liz @ bon temps beignet said...

I would have faced the firing squad for those lamps. And no doubt, anything Martha would've made it into my basket too.

Anonymous said...

Um, you are hilarious and you know what? I just saw that green chair last friday and thought the SAME thing. haha...we always want though, right?

Stephanie Sabbe said...

you are so funny. I had to shield my eyes from a TJ's today in Cambridge.

Unknown said...

ha! I have this same dilemma all the time! In fact I blogged about it on my inspiration blog just last week! At least that's what I call it...inspiration....or lust. hahaha.
http://untameflame.blogspot.com/

Rachel Joins the Fray said...

You crack me up. These are the thoughts crowding out legit stuff in my brain EVERY DAY. Because if I'm not near a store like that, I'm near a COMPUTER!! SAVE ME!!!

; )

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

LOL these are similar "convos" for me too... i work right near the Frmaingham/Natick malls, shopping plazas, etc. It's deadly. :)

Fargerike Dagny said...

Hehe, I want the green chairs too!!

xx
dagny

Matters of Style said...

Hilarious, love the inner monologue (and it sounds very familiar...)

Oh, and I think you will never need margarita glasses. Mine have sat in my cabinet collecting dust for 5 years now...

Allison Stephanie said...

Yes... I have the same problem too! Can't decide what to get!! Keep up your lovely posts!
xoxo
www.walkaboutlovely.blogspot.com

Hayley Baum said...

haha this is DEAD ON! Just wait till you walk in the Homegoods/TJ Maxx in Raleigh. You'll die.

Just A Girl said...

I was just at TJ Maxx and had the same conversation with myself. I feel your pain like whoa.

Jade @ Flip Flops + Pearls Design said...

Haha! Definitely a conversation I have with myself often!!

Unknown said...

my head chairs for my dinning room table are JUST like the green one's - just have a taller back and are black - but everythign else excatly the same! - so umm i LOVE em'! =- teehee

Unknown said...

I love this post! I feel the same way when I go to TJs or Homegoods - bc you know if you want it and go back for it, it won't be there anymore!
I too live in the Boston area - this looks like a great Homegoods - if you don't mind me askingm where is it?
Thanks!!

keely @ luxe + lillies said...

This is hysterical, and I'm fairly certain we share a few of the same braincells.. this is exactly the conversations I have with myself every time I'm at homegoods... sometimes I tell myself I have to drive all the way across town (only 15 mins) to go to homegoods, just so I can save my boyfriend from having to live with more fabulous decor items. Homegoods really is an obsession.

Hill Country House Girl said...

You are hilarious and you speak my language! Not only is there treasure to be found at Homegoods, but then you have the whole rationalization about price - oh I can drive myself crazy there! I have a 10 foot long table and 8 wonderful garden chairs that I bought at the last antique show where I was set up to SELL, not BUY, that I am saving for my SOMEDAY screened in porch that overlooks the hills of the Texas countryside, or if I really want to dream, it might be in Maine. I can just see my family and friends sitting at that table laughing and talking and eating and drinking wine......and it is all for SOMEDAY!!

Ange said...

This post is too funny, probably because I relate to it so well. If the debate that goes on inside my head was happening out loud, I'd be "sent away" for sure. So much for retail 'therapy', I need therapy after I've been shopping.
Angex

North of 25A said...

Just because I hide bags from TJ Maxx & Marshalls from my husband and put the tags in the botton of the trash can does not mean that I can relate to your post. I am so sorry that you have a problem...
Your friend in denial,
Colleen

Erica @ Decorica said...

Too funny! I do the same thing. I used to just throw the stuff in my cart and call it a day, but now I have similar coversations in my head. I love the accent chairs that TJ's, Marshalls, and Homegoods always have, wish I had a bigger house....

Jessica @ Lavender and Lilies said...

I actually walk around with things and carry them around the store while I look and 99% of the time I put everything back and leave empty handed. It's a curse.

justagirlLaura said...

Best.Post.Ever!! I feel the same exact way, only you said it in a better and funnier way than I ever could!

laura @ so alaurable said...

This is EXACTLY what all of my trips to TJ Maxx / HomeGoods are like! I'm always texting my mom photos so she can talk me into / out of things!

Lindy said...

I have to disagree -- I think you DO need the pair of blue lamps! You should rethink this...

L.

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

Love the chairs and those lamps! Here we have Winners, which is close to a TJ Maxx and they have great home accessories. The only thing I hate is that they put their price stickers on the glass of photo frames and it's almost impossible to get off!

Laura Trevey said...

LOVE the green chairs!!

Hope you are having a beautiful week ~~

xo Laura

Averill said...

lol...totally have similar arguments with myself all the time whenever I go shopping. Those greek key chairs are great, but I'd definitely want to reupholster...which probably means I wouldn't buy them either as I'm terribly lazy about that (and have a stack of projects already cluttering up my spare room).

Jenn @ Living Luxe for Less said...

This is so true!!! I go through this about every time I go to Target or Homegoods! Luckily you have more restraint than I do...I don't have a patio either but those tumblers are so cute I might have been forced to take them home with me!

Katie @ Noodle and Boof said...

HA I think all women do this...and perhaps some guys! i loooove the gold frame with the circles!

Angie said...

HA!!! I love it! I just started working about a month ago and I'm right around the corner from Marshalls and HomeGoods!! It's dangerous and I too find myself feeling like I NEED to bring things home with me that I really don't! ;)

LindsB said...

Victoria- I was at the TJ Maxx in downtown crossing- its a hit or miss store but I happend to be there on a hit day :)

Linda Merrill said...

Oh how I wish there's been a TJ's when I lived in Boston! I would have been right there with the need vs. want dilemma!

Bravehearted Beauty {formerly LLH Designs} said...

This post is cracking me up. I have way too many frames stored away, no need for lamps (but have admired the same ones in a more turquoise color) and love the crown hole punch. Sigh.

Have a great week!
Linsey

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

I do this all.of.the.time in TJ Maxx.

Rachel said...

LOL!!! I have these same conversations with myself all the time!

Anonymous said...

That pretty much sounds like me when I went into my local TJMaxx yesterday. I too came out not buying anything, but will definatly go back for lamp to go in daughters room. Oh, and the jewlery organizer. And the mini colander. And a new notebook. Dam. I need to stay at home. Love your blog. -Jenn