4.21.2010

For Real!


I thought it might have just been a fluke when Emily posted about Elle Decor running out of magazines.

I still had not seen my May Elle Decor arrive so I emailed them to find out what the deal was.  My response from them was:

"We apologize that this issue is permanently out of stock"

Are you friggin kidding me?!?!?  I am a subscriber, don't I get some sort of preference over the newsstands?

I know that newsstand sales (book stores, grocery stores, etc.) don't even count as 20% of the total subscriber numbers. I also know that subscriber numbers are important to advertisers in deciding how much they spend with Elle Decor.  So if Elle Decor still wants lots of advertising dollars pouring in then they should take care of their monthly subscribers NOT the single newsstand sales!

Ok, rant over- but I am annoyed and will not forget this anytime soon Elle Decor!

*UPDATE- Elle Decor customer service, AKA Margaret Russell, is all over this.  I was shocked (amazed, excited, every word you can think of for ecstatic) to see that Margaret herself left a very nice comment on this post that the magazine shortage was just a little mix up and nothing else.  

I will admit I might have over reacted just a bit, but just as much as Elle Decor loves their readers, I love my Elle Decor!  Customer service goes a long, long way in my book and just from that one little comment Elle Decor has gained a reader for life! (not that I wasn't already, but this just confirms my love)


Take note bloggers- all will be ok in the magazine world and Margaret Russell is my new BFF.


(photo by Tim Street-Porter for Elle Decor)

37 comments:

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

No way!!!

Anonymous said...

I haven't gotten mine either!!! I thought it was just because I'm in podunk M'ssippi and I always seem to get my magazines a week late, but I am so not happy with this!!!

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

Wow, that is unbelievable. I did receive mine in the mail two days ago....who knew I was one of the "lucky" ones.

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Come to think of it, I haven't gotten mine either! Crazy...Janell

pve design said...

I am running to my local kiosk for my own copy, if they have one, would you like me to send?
pve

Design Esquire said...

That is craziness. Talk about a bad PR move.

LindsB said...

Patricia, you are so sweet- thank you for the offer! I just saw one at my local Borders and picked it up. Thank you though, that was so nice of you!!!

My Interior Life said...

That is totally strange! Never heard of such. I just got mine here in Nashville a few days ago. I'm surprised the bigger cities didn't get theirs first. I'd be mad too!

Kate said...

I get my subscription online through zinio, better for capturing screen grabs for blogging anyway, you should try it out!

(plus you can read them on your computer at work and look like you're actually working, shhh!)

RILEY said...

wow! i've never heard of something like that - you would think they would print AT LEAST enough magazines to send to their subscribers (that # isn't exactly a surprise or anything).

And that photo of the kitchen is making me drool.

alice said...

I am shocked! I can't beleive that subcribers (=LOYAL READERS!) don't get preference.... what the heck! I would be so frustrated. I did receive my copy, but that still makes me wonder about next month...

Anonymous said...

CAn you believe this? The June issue better be freaking awesome. I am so annoyed and the one i just bought is so not as cheap...the reason why I SUBSCRIBE! there, my rant is over now. Are you free one night next week for drinks?

Unknown said...

talk about a major FAIL! i wonder what they will do to fix it.

Haven and Home said...

Wait....what? You are not getting one from them? Ever? How is that even possible? I am speechless. Boo Elle Decor, Boo.

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

strange, you are right, subscribers should even get their magazine before it hits the newsstands, no?

Laura Trevey said...

Wow... how can that happen??

Angie said...

Ya That would tick me off to!

Anonymous said...

That is crazy! I've never even heard of that happening. At least they updated their website so it will be easier to find pictures from this month's issue. I hope they decide to print more for the next issue!

Margaret Russell said...

Please take a collective deep breath: If you're a subscriber and you didn't receive your magazine, e-mail us at elledecor@hfmus.com and we will send you a May issue. We truly love our readers, and this is simply a snafu, not a vast publishing conspiracy!

Stephanie Sabbe said...

busted.

MFAMB said...

ehh...publishing snafu? really? reaaaaaaally??

Unknown said...

Wow...to it all! (and MR...that is kinda cool!)

Kelly Green said...

So glad you got your mag - and Margaret's attention!KG

Amy @ Varnish said...

You are truly hilarious! You might be my long lost sister...

The Neo-Traditionalist said...

What a mess! I never received mine either! I just emailed them...I hope it shows up soon. Way to stick up for all of us : )
xo katie

Unknown said...

love it. great story- xo

Anonymous said...

whoa, margaret russell reads your blog! bet that made up for not getting your magazine :)

paula said...

Just got mine yesterday, phew.

Sarah said...

I can't believed that happened, hope you get your magazine soon! :)

carlee {deliciously organized} said...

I have so much catching up to do over here! This is wild. I'm glad they're sending one over. I miss you!

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Saw Emily's post too..and I too am a subscriber and didn't get!! Emailing them now :)

Good cust service to comment on blogs, I'd say!

Emily A. Clark said...

Wow, what a wonderful end to this story. A comment from Margaret Russell would make me giddy :)

sketch42 said...

Still havent gotten mine... But I DID buy it from the newstand cause I was so impatient.

Margaret Russel, AWESOME.

Haven and Home said...

Yeah! We should have known Elle Decor would not let us down!

Laura Casey Interiors said...

I love the fact that MR left you a comment. lucky girl.
that is almost better than the issue itself.

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

Got mine...Probably because it was my last issue before I had to renew it! and there goes that blue and orange again!

Julie Richard - Shelter said...

I called as well for the same reason..crazy.
I just received my copy a couple of days ago, I would have been really annoyed if I purchased the May issue. Good for you, glad to hear that MR left you a note!
Best,
Julie