9.04.2009

A Total 360

Canadian House & Home is quickly becoming a favorite with a cult following like Domino, House & Garden, Blueprint and many, many others who have folded. I just picked up their annual Makeover special edition and its no wonder why everyone is talking about our decor neighbors to the North, they really know what they are doing!!

This issue is PACKED with amazing before and afters and this amazing basement redo is no exception- it is out of control how much I love this space! Of course this basement belongs to the talented Meg Crossley, House & Home's senior editor. With a budget of $20,000 she transformed "the cave" as she called it, into a vacation retreat just one flight of stairs away.

Fluorescent lighting and vinyl floors are not exactly the most welcoming

a dark bathroom is cave-like for sure





duct work in all the wrong places for decorating, she had it moved- I'd imagine that was a bulk of the budget, but well worth it when you see the after.


Before there was a kitchen in the basement, but with one just upstairs and not needing a second one it went buh-bye


carpet on the stairs screams moldy, smelly, damp, 70's gross to me



Now for the after- wait for it, wait for it, wait for it....




Ta-da!!

No more vinyl, no more carpet, no more awful lighting and HELLO lovely, welcoming, and warm.



With a faux fireplace as the focal point and everything painted white, this space is just stunning.


The washer and dryer were moved to the opposite side, but with the piping already there Meg added some storage and a sink to complete the laundry space. Also the kitchen is removed and a bookcase and desk make it a great place to work, read and entertain guests.



I think the bathroom transformation is my favorite- it went from dark and dingy to bright and cheery.

Way to go Meg & House & Home- I love everything about this space and cant wait to have a cave basement of my own to transform like this one!

H&H- one request now that you have my love and attention, please don't close your doors in a few months like the rest of 'em, please, please, please!!!

(all photos from House & Home Makeover issue by Michael Graydon & houseandhome.com by Meg Crossley)

23 comments:

MFAMB said...

love C H & H. and that before and after is pretty inspiring.

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

No kidding, stop going out of business - all you fabulous magazines!
The flooring helps make the basement feel like it could be on any level of a home...
Janell

Unknown said...

oh my goodness...i can't even believe the difference! wow, what an amazing transformation!!
xox

Kalee said...

Wow, what a transformation! I love the white washed fireplace and silver pieces, fantastic!

Anonymous said...

So pretty! I've been buying H&H at Barnes & Noble and am getting veeeeery close to biting the bullet and subscribing - I love everything!

I love the banister transformation - just bookmarked it for our own (metal, ugh) banister railing in our entry. Such a transformation!

bluehydrangea said...

I so love Ch & H!! and this make over shows why...fabulous!!

Laura@JourneyChic said...

I've thumbed through that mag at B&N but have been put off by the price. I may have to cave in though. The entryway and bathroom are my favorites.

Anonymous said...

love it, love it! And yes, Canadian House & Home is fast becoming one of my fave mags. Also, check out Living Etc., it's the closest to Domino I've found. I think I did a post on it somewhere in my archives... :-)

Stephanie Sabbe said...

i like. I have two of those low sitting wood arm chairs, so this post makes me feel cool and with it.

LindsB said...

Stephanie you are cool and with it!

Yansy said...

I just love, love this magazine. I seriously can't get enough of it.

Devon said...

Wow, a basement renovation that actually looks nothing like a basement. That is some fine work!

Jen @ RamblingRenovators said...

I just did a giveaway of that H&H Makeovers issue! I've loved some US magazines like Domino, so I'm glad one of 'ours' is getting some recognition (*waves Canadian flag*).

Windlost said...

I have subscribed to Canadian House & Home for years but dropped my subscription at my birthday and got Style at Home (do you know it? It's the main competitor to CH&H) instead. Today I got an offer from CH&H to renew for 2 years for $42 (about what...$35 US). A really good deal but made me wonder if they are on the verge of going under too!

There are really only those 2 big decor mags here in Canada (well, broadly read for decor, lots of smaller specialty ones). They are based in Toronto where there is a lot of money and design obsession, so I hope advertising there will keep it afloat.

Glad you can get it in the USA! ALways happy to export a little Canada your way. haha.

xo Terri

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

So so pretty. Love it. Surely we could do something like that with a budget of $20,000!?!

Anonymous said...

fantastic!

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Love that magazine! It's one of my favorites, but a little pricey for this NY gal so I don't pick it up every month.

This months seems like a must have. I'll have to run out and pick up a copy!!

Anonymous said...

Such an AMAZING Before and After! I can never find this magazine when I'm looking for it but this week i'm on the hunt!

Lauren said...

OH LOVE IT!!!! Need to check it out!!!!

Lauren said...

OH LOVE IT!!!! Need to check it out!!!!

pve design said...

I am just so old fashioned, I love "happily ever afters" - Looks like it was meant to be this way!
pve

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

It is such a great mag...don't love the US price...but with so few left these days...maybe worth it?

Hopeless Chest said...

Wasn't that basement reno amazing?? I bought that issue purely for the cover. Loved it.