8.17.2009

Circa 2001- Still Cool Today

I've had this article ripped out and saved since it appeared in BH&G back in 2006. I thought the house was awesome then and I think its even better now! This is a house that was surely decorated with thought and has stood the test of time.

Even though the article was published in June of 2006, the house was purchased in 2001 and the owners took two years to renovate. Meaning most of these design decisions were made over seven years ago!

The industrial look here is timeless. The combo of white wood, slipcovered furniture, concrete and stainless steel throughout the house make the look work still today. The exact look the couple was going for was "cottage-meets-loft blend."


My favorite room in the house...the kitchen. The stainless steel cabinets are perfect for a family with little kids and pets. The upper cabinets are white wood with silver latch hardware.


Pretty polished concrete floors, they are nice and shiny here in the kitchen.


I love all the school house lighting fixtures throughout- still cool three years later

I'd die for a laundry room like this one- I love the industrial sink and faucet.

I just did a post on maps, they are still great accessories today.

Love the white slipcovers and pretty glass lamp

The Bedroom, and first of three metal medical cabinets in the house. Here it is used to hold tschokies.

This sink is awesome! Perfect for a kids bathroom, the two faucets must make teeth brushing time much easier.


My second favorite room in the house. The industrial look is carried over again here with the coffee table and end table. Both were purchased at flea markets and topped with concrete slabs. The elements here make this room almost indestructible and perfect for pets and kids.

The second medical cabinet in the house is used here as a china cabinet for the owners collection.

The third metal cabinet is used to house office supplies and creates a study area in the foyer.

Overall I love every detail in this house. It just goes to show you that when decorating your house use things that you love and can live with for a long time, not whats in style and cool at the time. Even though this house was renovated and decorated circa 2001-2003, it is still just as great today.


Photos from BG&G- article published in the June 2006 issue, photographs by John Reed Forsman

21 comments:

Jennifer said...

oh yes, I totally remember this one. think I still have the paper version in my stash somewhere!

love even more today, I think!

Laura@JourneyChic said...

What a great house - the palette is so relaxing and cool, but I love that they used antiques and black and brown wood to keep it warm and not stark. Thanks for sharing!

alison giese Interiors said...

I think these interiors were perhaps even AHEAD of their time, as so many of these looks are just now hitting it HUGE.
Good post!

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

I remember this home! Yes, you are completely right, it has stood the test of (a little) time and most likely will continue to do so!
Thanks for sharing! Janell

Mrs. Limestone said...

Fab house! And they have the same stools I do in the kitchen (or I should say I have the same ones they have).

Amy said...

great house! makes me want to get a medical cabinet for our house...

FROM THE RIGHT BANK said...

I totally agree. This house has definitely stood the test of time. :)

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Wow beautiful! It's totally timeless I real love everything about it.

Especially those vintage medical cabinets.

Loved catching a peek of you on a decorated life. You are too cute! You must post more pics of yourself here!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love it. Especially the schoolhouse lighting fixtures and the stainless steel and white kitchen! Those ROCK!

Unknown said...

So beautiful! I love the kitchen and all of the industrial touches. BH&G features so many great homes!

Anonymous said...

I love everything about this home and what a good save. Now you have me running to my old magazines to see what I have forgotten about!

Southern Aspirations said...

great space and I LOVE that this is a few years old. Even better. Love the beadboard hallway.

Kalee said...

Beautiful home!

Chic Coles said...

This is a beautiful post! That kitchen is so great...I LOVE the stainless steel cabinets, what a great idea!

Waxy said...

That kitchen is amazing...I only hope when I decide to do a remodel I can make selections as timeless as these homeowners did!!!

bluehydrangea said...

Love it and its not so trendy that I will probably still love it in another 7 years.

Sarah said...

I think the less is more look is always a good move!

Design Esquire said...

Wow. I love this house. It is very similar to my style (but only much better done!). I'm saving this post, thanks!

Stephanie Sabbe said...

I wonder if those cabinets get finger smudges all over them like my trash can

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Love this one.

Rebecca Corvese said...

Love the cottage pics! They are my favorites!