7.15.2009

I see London, I see France...

..I see MAPS!

Using maps as decor is no new fabulous idea, in fact maps in decor have been all over the Internet and blogs f0r years. Well I still have a slight obsession with maps. Reproduction maps are easy and inexpensive to get. When I first moved into my apartment a map was simple fix to fill blank walls (actually getting a $35 vintage map turned into a $500 framing project, but that's not the point at the moment).

Since then I have been collecting photos of fun and different ways I could use maps around the house to create a one of a kind look and here are some of my favorite


This photo jumped out at me when I was reading the May 2009 issue of Better Homes and Gardens. What a wonderful idea for a little boys (or girls) room!! I just LOVE how the map is used with a DIY roller kit to make a one of a kind window shade. This is the kind of kids room that is timeless, chic and kid friendly, and A+ in my book.


Who doesn't want to jazz up an office by turning plain old manila folders into a work of art? These are folders you would be proud to keep on top of your desk instead of filed away. Even better, take the one map you have and make color copies (if it is not copyrighted!!) to make multiple folders. (These ones from HERE, but they already have the map on them)


Love this idea for a fun housewarming or moving away gift. For a friend that is moving get a map of either the town they are moving to or from and make some chic coasters for them to remember. Actually this is an any occasion kind of gift- love it too! (idea from HERE)


Having a theme or destination wedding? This cupcake holder as seen on Style Me Pretty is a fun DIY project.


Right out of the pages of Pottery Barn- using maps as wallpaper is a fun idea for any room.


I fell in love with this from the second I saw it. Elizabeth over on Peacock Feathers made over this little beauty with some hot yellow paint and some maps on the inside. What a fun surprise to open up to.



Who doesn't love Mod Podge? You can decoupage just about anything and this map chair is awesome. What a cute chair for a kids play room...I'd pair it with antique wooden desks or a parsons desk for a modern look, how cute!


This large antique pull down school map is the perfect thing to hang up on a large wall- instant art! (photo by Eric Roth found on Kelly McGuill Home)


Give the inside of your shelves or drawers a little jazz and line them with old maps. (image from HGTV)


I know, I know, we have seen this idea a MILLION times- but I still think its great. Grab some Ikea Ribba frames, cut up a large map and you have big bang for little buck. (image from Country Living)


Make a ordinary lamp extraordinary with a map shade. (Chez Larsson came up with this idea)


We've all seen this one too- but its just that great that I had to post it again! Kate of Centsational Girl used simple molding to frame out an oversized world map and created the most amazing play room EVER! I'm totally using this idea when it comes time for me to decorate a kids room.

Last but not least a fun picture from Adrian Grenier home that was featured in the December 2008 Domino (may she rest in peace). Again, nothing new and exciting here but a very cool use of old maps.


How have you incorporated old maps into your decorating?

12 comments:

Waxy said...

The map chair is fabulous!

Stephanie Sabbe said...

i have a boston map idea i'm working on. we need something for over our bed and it's helping me learn my way around:)

FROM THE RIGHT BANK said...

There are so many great ideas here. I think I like the window shade the best.

bluehydrangea said...

Love them all. I actually used map wallpaper in my son's room but cut it down and framed big chunks of it. The colors are so bright I love it!

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

So pretty. I love the pottery barn room! All great ideas. I have map wallpaper for the man den, but I didn't really do anything creative for it. Next time. Jon was the decorator in the man den so what he said went!

Jessica @ Lavender and Lilies said...

I love it. I had saved the bottom picture from Domino as well. I've always wanted to do a big map and put really fancy pins on all of the places we have been. I am still toying with a unique and not corny way to do it. Thanks for the post.

pve design said...

even if you are just staying home, having a map makes one feel like you have been some place.
love this post....
pve

emcrrll said...

check out ward maps! they are based in cambridge and have a TON of great maps, products, etc. also, the owners are super nice.

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Fun post! Love the bedroom w/ the map wall paper & twin beds.

Lauren said...

Yes!!! I love this look. Did it at my dad's lakehouse but he told me when they're of water (I used the lakes in the area) that they're called "charts" not maps, hahahah (He sent me that email after a post)

I am SO glad you posted on this!!! I am dying for a pull-down one for my family room... love that look... and my husband was making fun of my horrible geography knowledge the other nightso maybe i can improve??? but i'd also love it to be maps/ charts of someplace special to me like the lake we go to every summer or something like that...

ok, i know this post is SO long but i also have to thank yhou for posting the hairstyles last week!!! been wearing my hear in the jennifer anniston braid pull-back one (not french though bc i have no skills ;)

xoxo

Unknown said...

I love the map chair too! Very cute. Anything Mod Podge works for me. . .

:D

Amy
http://modpodgerocks.blogspot.com

Megan said...

I love this post, so many great ideas. When we moved back home from New Zealand we bought "mapkins" and use them to dress up the table!