6.19.2009

Fabulous Find

Thought I'd share with you my fabulous find, actually my favorite find of the year pretty much. While the BF was away I spent alot of time antique/junk shopping... its one of my favorite things to do, and his least favorite thing to do.

Usually a quick run in turns into me wondering around looking at all the fun antiques for 3+ hours. That's how it went last Saturday at least...I went in around 2pm for just a peek at what they had and ended up leaving at 5:45pm. Hey, the place has no windows and I just get lost in my thoughts ok, no judging :)

Anyway, cut to the point- my FABULOUS find!

** beautiful, shiny, gold plated bamboo flatware...SERVICE FOR 12! **

I felt like screaming winner winner chicken dinner, but instead I did a little happy dance when no one was watching.

Look how pretty...
click to enlarge

you can also see my crystal salt and pepper shakers i got too


I know my table scape is no Eddie Ross or Megan from Beach Bungalow 8 style but I'm working on it


One question for all you out there though, how do you clean gold plated flatware?

Some of the pieces have tiny water marks on them and some have little rust spots in the creases and when I tried Wright's Metal Polish (which says its good for gold) it took the gold finish right off- ahhh. Oh and I tried hot soapy water, and not a lemon soap they say that makes them tarnish, and that didn't work either. So, any experts out there- please help!

Thanks a million!!

12 comments:

Lynn said...

We had that exact pattern in my house growing up...how funny. My grandmother always said that actually using a bit of lemon worked to remove stains on her flatware. Just to make sure that you rinsed immediately and not let the acid soak in...that's when the tarnish starts to happen. Good luck and what a great find!

Stephanie Sabbe said...

EMAIL ME! I will go antique shopping. I don't think I've ever been real antique shopping, only consignment store type stuff. My mom didn't have the patience for that when we were growing up.

Unknown said...

Beautiful! Great find!

Rachel said...

oooh, I like these!! How fun!

bluehydrangea said...

Great, great find!!! It looks fabulous..you lucky girl!

Megan said...

Those are beautiful, what a great find! Do you have any special plans to use them soon or will use use them for everyday?

alison giese Interiors said...

Awesome find! Sorry I can't help you, though, with the cleaner - I would've suggested Wrights :(

Unknown said...

2 of my favourite things in one piece...bamboo & gold.
LOVE this set...and service for 12?!?!?!?! lucky you!

HRH COLLECTION said...

What beautiful flatware! Great find!

Abby said...

You have no idea how jealous I am...what a great find! I don't know why sifting through old junk is so calming, but I feel that way too. It's my zen.

Lindsay said...

Ohhhhhh...fabulous is right!

I'm so jealous...do you have ANY idea how desperate I am for a fab silverware/cutlery find...brilliant!!

Anonymous said...

Yay we are silverware twins!

I just washed mine in the dishwasher (gutsy, I know) and they turned out perfectly. I'd probably test 1 piece to see if it's ok with yours!