5.20.2009

Blogger's Favorite Everything: Haven and Home

_______________________________________________________

Featured today is Marianne Strong from Haven & Home. If you already know who she is then I don't have to tell you how great she is because you already are aware of this. If you don't know her, she is a fabulous decorator from Birmingham, Alabama with great taste and an amazing sense of style. Go on over (after you read this of course) and check out her blog to see just how great!

Here are a few of Marianne's favorite things:

Lamp- Antique, industrial lights- any ceiling light at South of Market basically.

Everyday (serving) dishes- Mississippi Pottery- Peter's Pottery and McCarty have an earthy simplicity that I really like and The Good Earth has patterns in wonderful color combinations.

Candle/scent- Botanicus Green Tea or Red Fruit


Design book- Modern Glamour: The Art of Unexpected Style by Kelly Wearstler

Cleaning supply-Vacuum cleaner, probably not what you were looking for but I could not live without mine. I find vacuuming therapeutic- I know I have a problem.

Fabric- My favorite fabric used to be Schumacher Katsugi, but it has become so popular. Right now my favorite collection is Philip Gorrivan for Highland Court. Second would be any of the velvet patterns from Robert Allen/ Beacon Hill. In general velvet stripes or geometrics are what call my name.

Sheets- SDH Legna sheets- you have never, ever, ever slept on anything so divine. They are pricey but worth every penny.


Wallpaper-
Schumacher Imperial Trellis- I know this is not something unique or new but I really do LOVE it. Schumacher has dozens of wallpapers that I would use any day of the week. Second would definitely be a paper from Romo Fabrics.

Coffee or tea- Both! I prefer my coffee with a flavored creamer though (usually Hazelnut)

Color- Gray- I know, I know, people think I am crazy. To me it can be a neutral or a bold color, cold or warm, strong or inviting; it is very versatile but not overdone everywhere you turn.

Accessory- I love watches. Big earrings for myself, fresh flowers for the home, tape measure for work.

Electronic gadget- My camera- when God made me he forgot a good memory so I take pictures of everything. I can't tell you how many times a day I reference the pictures on my computer, I don't write anything down anymore.

Nail polish color-You Don't Know Jacques by OPI

Artist- John Hyche- One day (hopefully in this lifetime) I will have saved enough to have one of his paintings.

Flower- Peonies


Comfort food-Mac and Cheese or Mexican

Alcoholic drink-Wine or Mojitos

Writing utensil- Pilot G2

Vacation spot- Maldives- oh wait that was just me dreaming. In real life it is the Gulf Coast- Seaside.

Pair of jeans- Rock & Republic

Heels / flats- Heels!

Room to decorate- Dining rooms; there are so many dining tables and chairs that I adore. Not to mention the light fixtures, rugs and all the different ways you can make it a traditional dining room with a big twist.

Magazine- It was Domino, now it is House Beautiful

Lipstick/lip gloss- Lip Gloss, although truth be told 98% of the day is Chapstick.


Designer- Bobby McAlpine (architect) His homes are amazing and his furniture pieces for Lee Industries are amazing.

Organizational tool- I have these white cardboard magazine holders from Ikea, probably a hundred of them and I don't know what I would do without them. Also, filing cabinets are a must.

Chair- There are too many, I would not even know where to begin.

Big box store- West Elm

China pattern- Silver Wheat by Wentworth- Nothing fancy, it was my Grandmother's and I could not love it more.

Soap- Method from Target in Almond Flower

Current Trend- I am seeing a lot of wallpaper these days, but not the heinous wallpaper of the past. The new versions are chic and fun.

Rug- Old Oushak rugs. On the flip side- anything seagrass, sisal or jute. They can be used in almost any room of the house and tend to hide several sins.

Hope you all enjoyed learning a bit more about the fabulous girl behind Haven and Home- and thank you Marianne for taking the time to fill this out :)

17 comments:

Rachel said...

Ok, why didn't I know about the fabulous fabric you are talking about BEFORE I made my purchase for our bedroom?! Love that fabric collection. The nail polish makes me giggle. My friend wheres that and always lets everyone know the name of her polish. so cute! great picks!

Anonymous said...

I love Marianne!!

Haven and Home said...

Hi Lindsay,

This looks so great! I love the pictures you picked out. You are so sweet to ask me to do this. I realized once I started it was hard for me to narrow anything down, I can be so indecisive when it comes to picking one thing!

I really wish we lived closer together, that is the down side about the blog world- you find some many people you wish were in the same town!

Thanks again for asking me to do this!

Marianne

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Love this! I love Marianne. We are always on the same page so of course I agreed with all her picks except Katsugi is still my favorite. I can't get enough of it!

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Love this! Fun post. And I LOVE me some Marianne!!! I realize how lucky I am to actually live in the same town as her. And realized from her answers that we are more alike than I realized.

KM said...

Love the post, love the blog, love you Linds, and love you Marianne!

livingwithstyle said...

Great job Lindsay! This gets me excited to finish mine! Old Oushak Rugs are my favorite as well -- I even love coral/orange toned ones.

JMW said...

Found your blog through Haven and Home - great commentary!

paula said...

Marianne does have such great style. When we met I remember she had she a fabulous watch on. Oh, and I just love Peter's pottery so far I only have two pieces, but hope to acquire more.

Nikki said...

Great idea for a post! I love reading others' responses and getting inspired by their favorites.

Christina said...

great job on picking some of those faves, that's really difficult. i need to get the design book you mentioned.

alison giese Interiors said...

What a fun idea! Love your little Blogger's Favorite Everything button, too!

Lauren said...

such a fun post & marianne is such a sweetie (with awesome style!!)
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hi,

We have just added your latest post "Blogger's Favorite Everything: Haven and Home" to our Directory of Pets . You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory and get a huge base of visitors to your website.


Warm Regards

Vaca-tion.info Team

http://www.vaca-tion.info

Slices of Beauty... said...

Lovely picks!

alice said...

The Ikea magazine files are awesome... such a great organization tool and I love the price!

bluehydrangea said...

Love this idea...and loved Marianne's picks. can't wait to see who is next.