10.18.2010

Weekend update

Hello there, so sorry I've been absent.  I took a few days off and decided to step away from the computer for awhile, we all need those weekends now and again right?

Lots of projects that I have been starting and finishing up.  It seems I don't have enough time to do everything that's been on my to-do list but one project that moved to the top was a small tray for my nightstand.


I needed a place to keep all my nightly necessities (lipstick, hair clips, etc.) neatly organized.  Yes, I know I have a drawer but its full already. 

I have been looking for the perfect tray, but all the ones I liked were either not cute or out of my price range.  So before I shelled out the $$ for the expensive ones I decided to try and make my own...paper mache style.

Enter BIG mess.

First I cut up strips of scrap computer paper

 
Then I covered a plastic take out container with plastic wrap

Then I dipped the paper strips into a mixture of craft glue and water and layered them over the plastic wrap creating the beginning of my tray



Fast forward a few steps because I totally was wrapped up in the project and forgot to take pics
 
After about 4 layers of paper I let the tray dry completely.  Then I added another 4 or so layers of the paper/glue mixture and let that dry. 
 
Then I trimmed the edges of the tray so they were even all around.
 
Next, with a paint brush I painted layers of mod podge to try and even out all the paper lines that we showing and even out the corners that were not exactly perfect.
 

Here is my tray as it looks now.

Next up a few coats of primer, picking colors for the inside and outside and then a final coat of lacquer spray paint and it should be done!

I'll have an update for you in a few days.

oh and a WARNING, this could turn out to be a total disaster of a project- I am posting prematurely so I don't yet know the end results.

26 comments:

pve design said...

Wow, I admire those that can make something out of nothing....show us when it is all dry....I think it looks like porcelain.
pve

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Wow! Love it so far. Now I'm itching to try it myself.

Glad you had some computer free days. I try and step away every weekend and not touch it at all. It's an amazing little vacation.

Of course I still check emails on my phone. Ah old habits die hard.

xo,

C

Stephanie Sabbe said...

craaaafty lady. Will you please dress up as Martha for Halloween. When are you coming over to my house to drink wine? I have plenty to go around:)I forgot what you guys look like

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Hope it turns out well! :)

Fran said...

A take out container?!? Brilliant......I can't wait to see it!!

Lindsay said...

As usual I'm impressed with your crafty-self! xx

littleshop said...

Oh, you're so clever. No fair! Hope it turns out!

deliciously organized said...

I know it's going to turn out perfect. Miss you!

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

impressive, I cant wait to see the result :)

Living Livelier said...

cool! Interested to see the results! Have you seen the great catch-all trays on the furbish studio store site? so cute!

Unknown said...

this is the EXACT reason why i need more then a 2 day weekend - i never have enough time to do 'creative' things ... booo to me

Karen said...

What a clever idea! I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out for you. You could add a decoupage detail to this project too.

Lilacandgrey said...

I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out!
<3Cara

"Tea Time" Print Giveaway-Come on Over and Check it Out!

abby jenkins said...

How funny! I was papier mache mad too! Covered a couple balloons with a ton of paper and flour/water paste but got impatient and put them in the oven when they had not dried completely overnight. Well, I can tell you NOT to do that. The balloon expanded and ripped my first couple layers. Oh well, back to the drafting board...I guess I should try your glue method. Can't wait to see what happens with your tray. I'll post my DIY this week..wish me luck!

Jenn @ Living Luxe for Less said...

I am so impressed! What a great idea for a DIY project. I can't wait to see the finished tray!

Devon said...

You are a crazy DIY-er. And I LOVE it!! Can't wait to see if, and how, this turns out.

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Wow, this is intriguing, can't wait to see what you do next! And I totally get posting before a project is complete, I do it all the time, but figure that is the extra little pressure I need to ensure I see a project through!! Janell

Laura@JourneyChic said...

You're daring! I'm very curious to see how this turns out. I don't think I've used papier mache since grade school art class!

alison giese Interiors said...

So, did you turn the take-out tray upside down, and use it as a mold? I think you've started a new craze in paper mache!

Mrs. Limestone said...

So smart!! I want to try this.

Lovely Little Nest said...

Holy gorgeous!!

Seriously, that is SO creative and SO perfect! Well done. :)

elizabeth said...

i saw this over at little green notebook and had to comment. this is totally amazing! i will have to make it my next craft project!

Lisa Porter said...

Love, love, love this!
Really wish I had seen it before Christmas.
I love your color combo. Really classic and the colors that I have seen on older peices.
FYI, the texture, from the picture reminds me of some small mother-of-pearl dessert plates that I have had for years.
Really great job with good tips too!
xo Lisa

Anonymous said...

I love this! Very nicely finished. When I think of paper mache, I think kid project, not classy tray. Thanks for sharing. I added it to my blog's to do list!

Unknown said...

I just found this through Little Green Notebook. I immediately began paper mache-ing. I can't wait for it to dry!

Peta Rudd said...

This is SO gorgeous! I'm waiting for my first 4 layers to dry as we speak. I found some great tips on the net- one being that if you use newspaper (a softer, more malleable paper) and tear it rather than cut it, it blends a lot more smoothly and you may not have need for the modge podge. Am very inspired and planning to make several for gifts. Thanks for the inspiration!