11.18.2009

From the Archives

Since so many people loved my last From the Archives post, I'm bringing it back again. This time from the February / March 2003 issue of Elle Decor.



This white on white 1,000 square foot Manhattan apartment (on lower 5th Ave, I might add) has me seeing green with envy. Since its a small space the owner and designer, Timothy Whealon, went with a tone on tone color palette for the space. In the article he explains that even though it is painted white, its never really white. Depending on the time of day the space can be any number of colors, from a golden brown at night to a blueish green color during the day.



Genius if you ask me...if only I had a high rise 5th Ave apartment of my own to paint white too :)



The mahogany table above can be folded and put against the wall when not in use. Multi purpose furniture is a must have for apartment living, and Whealon uses this space well.

In the first photo you can see the table under the windows in the family room. Below is the same table set up, just beautiful!





The carpet in the bedroom might be my favorite thing in this room- love the graphic pattern.



I'd love to send this bathroom photo to my landlord...this is how a small city bathroom should look! Classic, easy to clean, all one color and cohesive looking, a dream come true to me.



I must have a kitchen like this one day, loves it!

Hope you all enjoyed a look from the archives.

(All photos from Elle Decor Feb/March 2003 by Pieter Estersohn)

11 comments:

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Fun posting series :) Gorgeous apt...

MFAMB said...

so agree with you on the landlord bit. why must shit be so ugly? clean, white and shiny is all a bathroom NEEDS to be.

Katie @ Noodle and Boof said...

I die. Love it!

Stephanie Sabbe said...

I love that bedroom and the carpet is my favorite part too. I like all of these...who knew 2003 was such a cool year?

p.s. you and you know who are seriously soul mates. your discussions are the new highlight of my day:)

Jennifer said...

that bath is YUM!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I didn't even notice that carpet at first. So fabulous!

Anonymous said...

This apartment is timeless- and so peaceful- just what I would want if I lived in NYC.

Chic Coles said...

Love the mahogany and white mix.Great high and low feel to the apartment. Congrats on your award.

Linda Merrill said...

The kitchen - fabulosity!

Doug Davis said...

Wow, I have saved this for six years in my idea binder and did the same paneling detail, color scheme, range and cabinets in my new house. I think this article is one of the most influential things on my own personal style I've ever seen...glad someone else loves it too!

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Love so many things...