1.18.2012

A walk down memory lane

While I love looking at new and fresh designs I really love going back and revisiting designers I fell in love with long ago and remembering why.  Today I was going through my design files and found myself falling in love with Tommy Smythe all over again. 

There is just something about his layered and lived in look that I can relate to.  He has mastered mixing old and new together and I have alot to learn from him having my own mix of old and new in my apartment.  I feel his designs aren't overly masculine or feminine and they are all spaces that my husband and I could agree on (which isn't often I may add)

this room had me at high gloss walls

Hello awesome chevron powder room

I am dying over the polka dot lined armoire.  Not to mention those floors, I die!

All the details are delish

The spotted chairs, gallery wall, white sofa, striped rug and HERMES THROW- yes please

Where I got my idea to bowl up my match collection- genius!

I need to find some wingback chairs- I think its time.

a simple glass container makes anything chic

I've loved this bedroom for a long time

I need tile like this in my kitchen

Another Persian rug that I am obsessed with- surprise, surprise!  Not to mention the touches of Kelly green- delish!


I love going down memory lane.


(Photos from House and Home by Michael Graydon, Angus Fergusson, and Ted Yarwood)

14 comments:

Heather said...

love it! I am so into black high gloss now - i am painting my husband's office that color! can't wait!
memory lane is good!

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Love his work, he can come redo my house any time! Janell

Belle on Heels said...

Sigh. I've had that kitchen in my inspiration files for awhile now, and I just never get tired of looking at it. It is just soooo fabulous!

My Interior Life said...

Couldn't agree more! I love Tommy and his personality. That new House & Home magazine spread was perfect. I also loved what he said, "Trendy is not a dirty word - if I'm not aware of trends then I'm not doing my job very well." Very true.

Kim @ keller-creative said...

Love the rugs and wingback chairs. So chic!

Unknown said...

Gosh he is so talented. Between the mirrors in the stairwell and the kelly green accents, I'm rethinking my whole house! Gorgeous.

JMW said...

All so gorgeous! Love the idea of the matchbox bowl. Very clever!

Amber Interiors said...

What a star!

MadeByMontgomery said...

I pretty much DIE for that chevron powder room! Wow I love it!

Jenna at Homeslice said...

You're right about the feminine/masculine balance. While I do love glam, I'm actually more drawn to masculine spaces, so these are right up my alley- tommy's taste is impeccable of course- and a couple of these I hadn't seen before. Thanks for sharing!

Stephanie Sabbe said...

like it all!

Hello Lover... said...

I completely agree. I think he really nails the updated classic look. I feel like his spaces can really be looked at over decades and fit in no matter the year. Nice trip down memory lane - thanks for bringing us along!

Ashley said...

I've always thought Tommy deserves his own show! It's clear he considers all the details, because not everyone would line the back of bookcases with a contrasting paper or trim a lamp, etc. The "Tommy effect" is fantastic.

Sharon@house58blog.com said...

Tommy is a gem! I loooove the kitchen, it is in my "file" as one of my favorites.