10.14.2011

Extra Space

Storage space is limited in my small apartment,  especially after bringing home all the wedding gifts that people so generously gave us.  I feel like my walls are caving in on us sometimes.  And yes I STILL have 12 boxes of individual china place settings stacked on my kitchen table that are driving me NUTS. (note to self, find a new home for them this weekend)

Anywho back to the point- more storage needed.  I registered for these awesome fluffy towels, I love them, they make me feel like I'm at the spa.  But who knew they would take up twice as much space in my closet?!? Actually I should say, who knew my old ones were so crappy.

Closet space is like gold around my apartment and these new towels are taking up alot!  Enter the over the door storage shelf

LOVE this idea!

That Martha, of course all these photos are from her.  She has the best ideas.

I like storing extra supplies over the door too.  All my Extreme Couponing hording products could have a new home.

A little less pretty and a little more towels and this would be perfect for me

I also like this towel bar idea.  Unfortunately I don't think the husband would hang the towels properly (by properly I mean folded in 3rds the long way and then folded in half to hang, you know what I'm talking about right?) and the messy look might would drive me nuts.  I think I might have to stick with the hooks that we have. Bummer.

I do think that some over the door shelves are in my future though.  I have to find some cute wood brackets now. (second note to self, find cute wood brackets this weekend) 


Happy Weekend everyone!


(all photos from Martha Stewart, except the 3rd one down from the top.  That one is from House and Home)

17 comments:

Danielle Oakey Interiors said...

Love this!

Unknown said...

They're such a great idea -- I had the same inspiration after seeing those Martha photos! I love mine.

Laura@JourneyChic said...

What a great idea! We don't have a linen closet in our place, which is so aggravating. This is a great solution, although I'd need a step ladder to reach them!

Kim @ keller-creative said...

I love the over the door shelf. I would just go to Ikea to get the supplies. They have a great selection of hanging shelf type things.

Unknown said...

love the over the door shelves! try van dykes restorers. they have tons of brackets

Anonymous said...

I am sure you are a very nice person. But if you mention your husband, hubby, hubbo, etc., one more time someone should stick a fork in your eye. We get it! You're married! You won a man! You're a winner! You've arrived.
Please. I'm enjoying the blog except for you referencing that ALL THE TIME.

pve design said...

My husband made a great shelf in our old kitchen which shelved my cook books. :)
Now I am trying to find a spot.
pve

Karena said...

I love the over the door shelving idea!! That is very cool!

Have a great weekend!

Oh, and I have a new Designer Pillows Giveaway I hope you will join!

xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

Karen said...

What a great idea. I'm lucky to have plenty of storage but think that a shelf above the door would make a good opportunity to accessorize-maybe with seasonal items.

Murano Chandeliers said...

Just like me after our wedding. The interior of our house has changed to accomodate our gifts and my wife's old belonging since she only moved into my house right after we married. It's challenging and fun at the same time.

Katie said...

Love the shelf idea!! Thanks for sharing it.

And good luck with finding space to put everything. 7+ years later and I still have wedding gifts that don't have a permanent home.

style-for-style said...

I'm installing one THIS weekend!!

Hena Tayeb said...

I love the little nook above the door. Perfect for some extra storage.

Julip Made said...

As a fellow small space dweller, I definitely appreciate the over the door shelf! Also agree about male abilities to use the towel rack properly. I'm lucky if ours get slung over the doorway instead of on the wood floor...

Katie - House Rules said...

These are fabulous ideas - and I so agree on the stacked towel racks. The effect is totally ruined when you don't fold properly!

Amanda @ Our Humble A{Bowe}d said...

Leave it to Martha. I love it all. And yes, the right way to fold a towel is in thirds then in half over the bar. My hubs doesn't do it either.

Navy Bean said...

Fabulous idea! I'm going to tab this for the future!