8.12.2011

Ceylon: Part 2

Following up from yesterdays post here are more photos from my amazing trip to Sri Lanka...

this is how people along the coast fish!  It's not done as much today as it once was, but imagine sitting up there all day just catching fish? woah!

Buddha statues everywhere 

entrance to the Yala National Park where we went on a safari 

Yala National Park

If you look really close you can see that this tree is full of monkeys



Temple of the Tooth- Kandy, Sri Lanka


another three wheeler

policeman

schoolgirls near the Galle Fort

Galle, Sri Lanka.
This Buddha statue was given by the Japanese government following the 2004 tsunami that devastated the area.

Tsunami Memorial for the Queen of the Sea rail disaster
This memorial was built on what is believed to be a mass grave of tsunami victims.  It is also a memorial for the more than 1,700 people who lost their lives when a crowded passenger train was hit by a wave over 18 feet on December 26, 2004


While in Sri Lanka the hubby and I had the chance to visit a special girls orphanage.  The orphanage is home to over 70 girls ranging in age from 2 to 18.  Many of the girls living at this orphanage are there because they lost one or both parents in the 2004 tsunami.  The photo above are just some of the girls we met that day.

We stopped at this Hindu temple on the side of the road and it was filled with monkeys!  I had a lollipop in my pocket and decided that it would be a good idea to share it with my new monkey friend (no idea why I thought this would be a good idea as I'm pretty sure you're not suppose to feed wild animals, oops).

So stinkin' cute!


All in all we had an amazing time,  the two and a half weeks went by in a flash and I can't wait to return!   Although the flight was LONG and I'm still recovering from jet lag I'm excited that my husband has family there and it wont be the last time we get to travel to such an amazing country.


6 comments:

Karena said...

Wonderful images, that Buddha oh my!! The children in the orphanage appear so happy, I am sure you made their day!! It really brought tears to my eyes!

xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

Gorgeous photos! What a beautiful country.

xo,
cristin

MER said...

Love every picture and hearing about the trip. Gorgeous.

pve design said...

How wonderful to see it from your families eyes and from your eyes too!
pve

Anonymous said...

What an insight review, I love your site.

Zojirushi Bread Machine

Laura Casey Interiors said...

This trip looks like it was incredible- your photographs are gorgeous! Everything is so beautiful- I hope I get a chance to travel there sometime soon!