5.03.2011

Strike it

I've been collecting matchbooks from different places around the world for awhile now.  I keep them in a large glass bowl and I love how they look all piled in there.  Different shapes, different colors, different names and places.

Its like a scrapbook of sorts.

notice the bowl of matchbooks on the table

I think this is a fabulous and inexpensive idea that's perfect for display on a table or even in frames like Erika did from Urban Grace


I'm in love with this frame idea! I'm trying to convince my Dad to give me a collection of old stamps he has so I can do the stamp version of Erikas idea...Dad, did you change your mind yet?


(photos from: House and Home design by Tommy Smythe photo by Michael Graydon and Urban Grace, photo by Erika Powell)

12 comments:

Ashley said...

I love hearing about people's different collections, and the display that Erika devised is gorgeous!

Danielle Oakey Interiors said...

I love this idea, hopefully your dad will change his mind!

H.G. The Countess said...

My parents still have the matchbook from their first date! They have a HUGE glass container of matches from their 35 years together, and it is so fun to hear about their memories when they did deep into it. I am copying them and we have two bowls of matchbooks already.

quintessence said...

One of my best friend's fathers had a collection of matchbooks under a piece of glass in their niche of a bar area - I always thought it was so chic!! Framed is terrific as well!!

Kelly Krugh said...

LOVE the framing idea! Thanks for sharing!!

lemondropdreams said...

I used to babysit for my parents neighbors and they had a HUGE jug full of matchbooks! I forgot all about it until I saw your post...

lemondropdreams said...

I used to babysit for my parents neighbors and they had a HUGE jug full of matchbooks! I forgot all about it until I saw your post...

Brooke Jones said...

What a great idea! My mom used to collect matchbooks and I always loved to look at all the colors and designs. I also love your idea to frame stamps.

Calypso In The Country said...

I should put mine all into something. I have old matchbooks in various drawers and boxes and it would be nice to display them. Great idea!

Sarah (Matters of Style) said...

Love, I collect them too! I have a bunch that my grandmother collected from all over the world! It's nice that restaurants are non-smoking now, but it's sad that matchbooks are becoming a thing of the past!

Danika Herrick said...

I'd have to take the framing option now that I have kids (and would like to keep my house standing). I want that living room in the first pic, gorgeous!!!

Carrie @ Hazardous Design said...

We have a collection of matchbooks (and restaurant business cards) also. I love the idea of framing them. What a great way to show off a collection.