4.11.2011

"pulled" from the files

Creative ideas get pulled from so many different sources.  The pros portfolios, print magazines, online magazines and blogs are an endless source of inspiration for me.  

While going through some of my favorite portfolios I stopped short when I came to this picture from Eileen Kathryn Boyd

I love those green ottomans and the ring pulls!

When the husband and I first moved into our apartment I picked up a pair of these Ikea ottomans to have some extra seating around.

That Plain Jane canvas is just itching for a makeover.


A light bulb went off! With a few yards of fabric and cabinet hardware, my Plain Jane Ikea ottomans can look like Eileen's fancy green ones.

Off I went to do a little online shopping at two of my favorite sources (Lewis & Sheron Textile and MyKnobs.com, which BTW aren't to the trade only, so everyone can buy at these sites- WINNING) and came up with a few fabric/ hardware combinations that would update those ottomans in no time

HL Belami in Raspberry and Cup Pull

 Leeds in Graphite and Ring Pull

 Sudan in Sage and Bar Pull

 Rave OD in Mandarin and Acrylic Bar Pull

Anatolia in Gunmetal and Bail Pull

Nepal in Citrus and and Brass Ring Pull


Now if I could just narrow it down to one choice for my ottomans.


So, what are your favorite ideas pulled from the inspiration files? 
Do share!


20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bril-li-ant! I love each of these combos!! It's hard to pick a favorite but I might go with the raspberry geometric/ silver pagoda pull combo or the zebra/gold bar pull combo. You're killing it!

René said...

This is such a great idea! I have one of those old ottomans too and it could really use some help. Never would've thought to add hardware though. Brilliant!

Katie Waddell said...

Love this! I have some horrid microfiber ones in my sons room that just may need a makeover now!! My favs are the Sudan in Sage with bar pull and the Nepal in Citrus with brass ring pull. Good luck!!

Sarah @ Cubicle Sanity said...

what a great idea!
I love the Nepal in Citrus and the HL Belami in Rasberry. No matter what you choose I cannot wait to see the final result.

Kate {domestikatedlife} said...

I love a big ring pull -- at the Cole Haan store on newbury they have little tables with giant ring pulls with tassels hanging off of them -- that would be a cute idea for the ottomans!

lizziefitz said...

#3 beautiful!!!!

Fran said...

This idea is brilliant and I am going to have to 'steal' it!! The wheels in my brain are already turning! Thanks for the inspiration!

Jessica said...

oooh! what a fab post. for me, it's a toss up between anatolia and nepal. those fabrics and the classic brass ring pull are lovely. can't wait to see what you choose!

alison giese Interiors said...

Tough call.
Big toss up for me between Sudan/Bar Pull and the orange linen/acrylic bar pull.
I see both being Braziliant!

Megan said...

Loving the sudan/bar pull... great inspirations!

charm home said...

Such a cute idea. I might have to try this in my new house. I've got so many ideas that I want to use but it will be quite a while before I get around to creating any of them.

Loretta Fontaine (EcoHappy Blog) said...

I like all of those combos! I've heard of L&S, but the other source is new to me, thanks!

Loretta

Anonymous said...

I like the last one, the green with the brass ring.

Alexandra Bee Blog said...

what a great idea! my favorites of your choices are: the HL belami, the sudan, and the nepal!

Courtney Perry said...

Nepal is my fave.

Thanks for posting that fabric source! Now I'm in trouble. :)

elizabeth@themustardceiling said...

Great idea,all of your choices are incredible. I think my favorite may be the last one. I am headed over to check out your resources, I am always looking for new fabric sources. Can't wait to see what you choose.

Stephanie Sabbe said...

I love that you are incorporating a little Charlie Sheen into the blog:) Great idea. I covered one for Remi's room. Will get around to posting one day.

Julip Made said...

Ohh what a great easy DIY for some extra seating!

Interior Design Musings said...

Clever! Clever! I love this idea. I like the brass bar pull the best, but I like it with the pinky fretwork fabric (this first fabric). In fact, I think I like your variations better than the inspiration! M.

lemondropdreams said...

I bought the Belami for pillows for my couch and I just ordered a sample of the Nepal for a friend. The citrus color is so bright & happy!