3.22.2010

Just what I need...

...Another hobby!

I spent the past weekend at my parents house for a little vacation from the city. My mom has started a new hobby and from the second I saw all her fun new tools I was hooked.  I mean, like I really NEED another hobby or craft to keep me busy. The 500 I already have at home aren’t enough, right?  But after I saw what I could make there was no turning back.

My mom has taken up jewelry making and sucked me right into her bead world. Now all I can think about is beads and how I can get more and what I can make with them. Trouble for me? I think so.


I am a very tactile person and I could spend hours touching all the beads to see how they feel and what sounds they make when I rub my fingers along the strands. 
 
All the pretty colors are so inspiring


So far I haven't made anything crazy just a few simple pieces that not only jazz up my plain Jane outfits but they make the top of my dresser colorful and bright too.  

 
Amazonite Bracelet

Amazonite, pearl and crystal necklace

Chunky green serpentine necklace

Olive Jade and freshwater pearl necklace

calcite coin necklace

I've made a few other things but no pictures of those yet. At the rate I am making everything and buying new beads my jewelry box will soon be completely full.  If it gets too full you might find some of these things on my etsy store soon.
Happy Monday!



PS- Can we talk about the major sun damage on my chest- hello freckles! Reminder for all those teenagers out there- the sun catches up to you sooner then you think. I am 28 and those freckles you see are thanks to all that lifeguarding and sun worshiping I thought would make me look tan and pretty.  Well sun damage is not pretty- so wear your sunscreen!!  

Ok, off my soapbox now :)

30 comments:

Angie said...

I think the coin necklace might be my favorite! I'm more of a visual person. I don't need to touch it- just stare at it and soak it all in.

Audreya said...

My mom also makes jewelry. Her stuff is beautiful and I help her from time to time... but I'm too clumsy for this hobby! I spend more time picking up the beads I've spilled than actually creating jewelry! She really enjoys it though.

Your stuff is looking good! The Amazonite, pearl and crystal necklace is my fave. Have fun!!

carlee {deliciously organized} said...

I love when you find a new hobby! Makes for great eye candy. They are all beautiful. Keep doing what you're doing...

Anonymous said...

Love these and I used to do this back in the day. Wish I never stopped. Met a woman once who made the prettiest necklaces for her entire wedding party. I should do that.

Did you buy the beads wholesale? love that chucky necklace with the big stones you have on!

Stephanie Sabbe said...

love love love! we missed you this weekend

Rachel said...

Love that chunky green necklace!!

I made necklaces for the girls in my wedding party - freshwater pearls and gold beads. They turned out pretty! But I'm not THAT great at it... a couple of them kind of fell apart after the wedding (oops!). I did manage to fix one and keep it for myself, though.

Staley Mc said...

The necklaces look great! I'm always intrigued with the bead isle when I go to Michael's or Hobby Lobby

an old fashioned girl said...

love love love the olive jade one!!

Laura@JourneyChic said...

So pretty! I love the calcite coin necklace.

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

LOVE these. Yes, you def need to add to your Etsy shop!

Erika Ward said...

Please do share...an etsy shop would be great!

MFAMB said...

i think this is a great hobby!! this one could save you lots of money. you can make what jcrew would charge you 57398579803dollars for

JMW said...

Love the green chunky beads and the more delicate pearl necklace on the chain. Perfect accessories for a variety of outfits!

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

What a fun hobby- I would want to buy soooo much lol. Love the chunky green one!

Chic Coles said...

My mom and I make jewelry...there are some great jewelry stores in NYC...I am hooked and we always make some really fun pieces!

Kelly Green said...

Love all your creative urges - necklaces are gorgeous!KG

North of 25A said...

Those beautiful pieces are what you made your first time out? You definately need to add your new obsession to etsy!

Saara {www.varv.ca} said...

I'm in to making jewelry too....know a girl who makes AMAZING stuff with vintage beads and brooches and belt buckles...def check her stuff out! http://shop.elvafields.com/

I'm so lucky to own her stuff, but also hunt antiques stores to buy pins etc to make my own. I really think you'll love her stuff, and be inspired by it. :)

Juie said...

I think you are my twin lost at birth. I have been making jewelry for about 6 year now. I have a fabric shopping addiction... i do chairs. I can't really get into my "office" right now because I've got too many hobbies taking up the space. Amazonite is one of my favorite stones!!!

Juie said...

I think you are my twin lost at birth. I have been making jewelry for about 6 year now. I have a fabric shopping addiction... i do chairs. I can't really get into my "office" right now because I've got too many hobbies taking up the space. Amazonite is one of my favorite stones!!!

LindsB said...

Juie, I think we could- sounds like me to a T :)

Anonymous said...

I do the same thing-running my fingers over the beads, as well as the yarn and fabric and buttons and scrapbook paper and paint chips.

I am resisting the call of the beads, so far it's working, but it's getting harder to resist now that I've seen your pretty bracelet.

Unknown said...

That chunky green serpentine necklace is so incredible! Jealous of this new hobby...I want to make these gorgeous things...where are you buying these fabulous beads!?

pve design said...

Love your passion for adding to your creativity!
You are always full of good tips!
Thanks for the tips about the sun - too.

Shannon @ Project Shannon said...

I love the green chunky necklace! That's right up my alley. I think this is a FAB new hobby, I can't wait to see more of your projects!

Patty said...

I love jewelry making but I always get frustrated halfway through whatever I'm making :) yours turned out so good!

Laura Trevey said...

gorgeous colors!!! so fun ~~

beki said...

I go on bead binges every so often. I only wish I made as many pieces of jewelry with all the beads I buy. All your creations are beautiful.

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

You are a natural jewelry designer too.

xo,
cristin

Let The Tide Pull Your Dreams Ashore said...

Nice work...they look great! xx