3.26.2010

A Cheesy Post

I have yet to mention on this blog that I am related to a famous person, at least she is famous in my world (and soon to be yours too).  My cousin, Besty Devine, and her partner Rachel Mark are the brains and beauty behind Salvatore Bklyn a company they started that makes the most delicious ricotta cheese.
Located in Brooklyn, NY they were taught secret of cheese making from a man named, you guessed it, Salvatore when they were vacationing in Italy.  They brought back the recipe and started making small batches of this creamy goodness in their own kitchen. 
I would say the rest is history, but I know that this is only the beginning for them.  They are certainly making a name for themselves all over NY as well as the rest of the world and people are taking notice. Betsy and Rachel sell their cheese at the Brooklyn Flea every weekend in the Summer and that is where people started to catch on that they had something really special.

(photo from Timeoutnewyork's photostream)

Besides being written about all over the tri-state area, they have made a giant leap onto the national stage this past year. Here are just a few great places they have been seen.

Last year Country Living had a feature on the Brooklyn Flea and there was a large colorful photo of Betsy at work.  See more about it HERE
(photo from Country Living)

While they were at the Brooklyn Flea one day Martha Stewart tried their ricotta and fell in love.  She featured them on her blog back in October

Then she had Betsy and Rachel on her show in November to make some yummy Lemon-Poppy Seed Ricotta Pancakes


To follow up they were featured in the April issue of Martha Stewart Living (dont mind the cell phone pic, I didnt have a scanner handy)


If that was not crazy enough Martha invited them to the Tastemakers event held at the Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia offices in NY


Andrew from Martha Moments wrote up a great review of the event HERE

(photo from Martha Moments by Andrew)

They were written up on the Everyday Food Blog too


Other mentions are:  
NY Magazine, yummy caramels can be bought from Liddabit Sweets a homemade candy store in NY, The NY Times,  and there are so many, so just do a search for Salvatore Bklyn and you can see all the great things people say about them and the ricotta.

I could go on and on but I really think you need to just check out their cheese for yourself.  I'm not just saying that because she is my cousin, I'm saying it because their ricotta really is THAT GOOD.
 two things you can get at the Brooklyn Flea: Bruschetta made with imported prosciutto and ricotta & a salvatore bklyn cannoli

Check out the Salvatore Bklyn website for more info on where you can get it.  Also, they will be back at the Brooklyn Flea this summer and I just heard that they are starting to carry high end olive oils too. So if you are in the area be sure to head over- we all love a good flea market, right?

Long story short (ok, this was a long one) you will be hearing lots more about Salvatore Bklyn in the future I'm sure. It is an empire that is just beginning. 

25 comments:

Natalie of TheBusyBudgetingMama.com said...

wow congrats to them that is so exciting to get all that exposure!! i gotta go check out their site! i'm craving a cannoli right now.....haha.

Anonymous said...

Cheese! I love cheese. Congrats

Stephanie Sabbe said...

so fun! that's awesome.

I am so behind on all my blog reading. I have had to work every night this week until 9:30! Can't wait to be my own boss. We won't tolerate that at my company:)

carlee {deliciously organized} said...

I loved her on Martha! The pancakes looked delicious. And I really want to try that cheese...and olive oil is a staple in my house. Excited for that. Congrats to them!

Design Esquire said...

Wow! So exciting. Thanks for sharing your cousin's success with us.

Unknown said...

That is so cool! I LOVE cheese, my husband is a food blog follower and knows all about cheeses, I will ask if he's heard of them (sure he has). I say, hooray for cheese! Hooray for Brooklyn!

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

How exciting! I LOVE ricotta. Gotta get up to BK again soon and check out the flea. I've never been.

pve design said...

yes, they make the best and hippest ricotta!
yummo!
pve

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Ah you've been holding out on me! Over the summer I was at Brooklyn flea and saw a stand with handmade cannoli's and these yummy sandwiches with bread, ricotta cheese, prosciutto etc. I gobbled it up in a matter of seconds. It was so delish. Had no idea one of the creators would end up being related to you. So cool!

The cheese really is out of this world!

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

How exciting! I want to try this cheese! :)

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

How exciting! I want to try this cheese! :)

Rachel said...

How awesome!!!
I'll definitely have to see if I can get their cheese down here.

That is soooo cool that they actually got to meet Martha! Hey, maybe they could put in a good word for us with her?? ;-)

ashlina {the decorista} said...

woah! thats pretty cool to say! i so admire entreprenuer women....i have got to try!!!
and score for making it to martha!

great post.

happy weekend sugar!

LindsB said...

Camila, That's too funny you've been there and had their treats!! They will be back there this summer and I hope to make a trip down, I'll let you know and maybe we can meet up!

Laura@JourneyChic said...

Wow - what a dream come true, to be spotted by Martha! Good for them. Those cannolis look absolutely delicious. :) Have a fantastic weekend!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm . . . ricotta. Congratulations to your cousin on all her success!

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

I'd love to try it, I actually just found a recipe with ricotta... shame I probably can't find it here...

Dayka Robinson said...

it's funny how your passion can always find you when/where you least expect it! very cool--congrats to your cousin!

Full House said...

I will have to keep my eyes peeled for it. I would love to try it so hopefully it will be coming to AZ soon. That pancake recipe looks so tasty.

Great story and fun to make that connection.

Have a great weekend!

Megan said...

I saw that Martha and since then have wanted to go to the Brooklyn Flea, buy some ricotta and make some pancakes! I'm excited to hear that they are doing so well; what a fun connection!

Anonymous said...

SO great and I'm jealous that's your cousin! I want to order some right this second. Did she have any good deats about Martha's studio? I'm dying to know!!

betsy devine and rachel mark said...

Hey Cuz! What a post - thank you so much! It looks like you have quite a following, so congrats to you...
Come down to the Flea this Summer! xoxo Betsy and Rachel

Anonymous said...

You had me at bruschetta made with imported prosciutto and ricotta!

Erica Cook said...

hey doll! happy monday! don't worry... you're still my little sis but now just think it kinda means you can have ashlina as a sis too. cool? (heehee) xoxo

Sarah La Rose said...

this post is making me hungry!

Check out my blog for a little surprise for you.

Love your blog!