10.19.2011

furniture fretwork

I FINALLY finished my O'verlays project that has been in the works for far too long!

Danika and Cheryle sent me 3 of the Gigi panels to play with and immediately I knew where they would go.  This small wood chest in my kitchen needed a makeover, it needed the extra bling that O'verlays add.

I started by painting the Gigi panels navy blue (as seen in this post)

They take spray paint like a dream!

Once they were all dry and ready to attach I got to work. I used Command strips on each corner to attach them to the drawer fronts.
(Bonus they can be used again & painted again)

The size O'verlays I was working with are designed to fit the IKEA Malm dresser, so they were just a tad short for my chest.  But,
I came up with the best solution! 

Remember my Big, Fat Fail spray paint screw up?  (see that post here)   The spray paint chipped off in 2 seconds, but Rub n' Buff to the rescue.  It worked like a charm.

After letting the handles dry I attached them to the chest and without further ado, here is my new glamified O'verlays chest

They look black here, but I swear they are navy.

I decided to attach the handles vertically on either side of the panels.  I love how different they look being attached this way!


Where this chest is in my kitchen makes it close to impossible to get a good shot of it straight on

On top I have a white ceramic elephant that holds index cards (index cards are a staple in my house- they are perfect for shopping lists, notes, reminders and so much more), chalk for the chalkboard, a pen holder that I spiffed up with marbled paper, the white drawer unit holds receipts, and cookbooks.

 This chest holds more cookbooks, wedding presents, a few office supplies that I use alot, and other random serving pieces that don't fit in my armoire.



Again, sorry for the weird angle

These fretty frets from O'verlays are awesome! They made this plain little corner of my kitchen so much prettier to look at, that's for sure!
 
 
To see more ideas on what to do with these fretwork panels check out Danika's blog Gorgeous Shiny Things and the O'verlays blog

18 comments:

Emily | Recently said...

This looks amazing! I love your little set-up with the chalkboard above it. Very clever.

Ashley said...

Fantastic! I really like the vertical handles! Now you have a chic "command center"!

Southern Exposure said...

Nice job! I love the navy, white and gold mix!

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

ummm.... I really want some of these! You did a great job! love the navy:)

ms.composure said...

o wow! very nice addition! it makes it look totally diff! it is a gr8 addition to the piece.

http://infinitelifefitness.com
http://mscomposure.blogspot.com

p-l-a-i-d said...

These o'verlays look amazing! I am dying to try them for a diy project!

Danika Herrick said...

Love it girl! Done me proud! Now we NEED to plan a drink up!
xo Danika

Carrie @ Hazardous Design said...

I love it!
I have got to get me some of those O'verlays!

bazaarofserendipity said...

LOVE! it turned out soo cute!

Maureen Stevens said...

such a great project! it looks so beautiful, I might have to try it myself :)

Amanda said...

oh my gosh! this is awesome!! Dont you just LOVE those overlays?!!! I have the Greek Key and couldnt be happier. Love the idea of adding handles though.

Katie - House Rules said...

I'm index card-obsessed too! They are the best.

Love the overlays!

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

cool idea! nicely done :)

Katherine said...

Omg I love these panels - they are so pretty! Very well done :)

Elle & Em said...

They turned out great! We love your blog!

Feel free to check us out! www.elleandemonline.com

Unknown said...

Just stumbled onto your blog! Seriously such great work...I am for sure becoming a new follower to check out all your new stuff :) xoxo.

Freckles Chick said...

LOVE the fretty frets!! The piece looks like a custom art deco piece now, wow! You inspire me to no end.

Heather said...

Oh! I LOVE this!